I bought treadmill about 2 years ago. Have probably used it 5 times. Yesterday, I cleaned it again and turned in on. My 3 years old daughter ran longer on it then me.

Maybe I am not a treadmil guy. Maybe I need to run outside. I was told that New Balance 992 is the best shoe. I just bought those from . These guys have the best price but I am hoping that this money doesn't go waste as my treadmil.

Start by walking for awhile on it! Whatever you do, don't push too hard or you'll hate the TM.

Make your environment pleasant. Good music, good TV show, decent temperature and the time will fly by!

NB may be a good shoe for you, depending on what type of gait you have.

For some reason, it didn't work for me at all, while others swear by it.

If you want some running goals, the peeps on this board will be happy to provide some!

I first suggest lowering your incline from 8.5 to say 3.0 or so... :wink:

Like Aire said, just take it easy! I was never a treadmill runner a few years ago, but my training runs for the last two are almost exclusively on 'the mill'. What kind is it? How much do you weigh? That may be an issue as well...

Good luck and welcome! :wavey:

I tried posting this earlier, but:

There is no perfect shoe. There is only a perfect shoe for you. You should go to a running speciality store, not a brand specific store, and have your gait analyzed and let the folks there fit you with the best possible shoe.

I have always loved New Balance, but my last two pairs of shoes have been Brooks because the fit is better.

I tried posting this earlier, but: There is no perfect shoe. There is only a perfect shoe for you. You should go to a running speciality store, not a brand specific store, and have your gait analyzed and let the folks there fit you with the best possible shoe. I have always loved New Balance, but my last two pairs of shoes have been Brooks because the fit is better.
Well stated pug! :thumbsup:

Hi-

Firstly, I think it's great you've made the decision to give running a chance! As far as choosing the proper shoe, no one brand or model is right for every foot. Some things to consider when shopping for running shoes:

weight- both yours and the shoe's
your gait
running surface
shape of your foot

I've tried various pairs of New Balance shoes over the last five years, and not a single pair has proven a good fit for me. I swear by Saucony grid auras, BUT, my advice is to go to a specialty store to get fitted.

Good luck!

Jen

I don't know who started the idea that treadmill running is easier, but for this caveman, I've never found that to be true. I always run slower and feel as though I'm dragging on the mill. Maybe it's the lack of brain stimulation or just the body numbing repetitiveness of each and every stride being identical to the last. Whenever I head outside after a spell of mill running, I find myself fired up and the pace is faster, the stride lighter and the miles peel away much easier. So don't beat yourself up too much about feeling the drag of the mill. I'm in that camp too and although it's a good alternative to beat the heat/cold, you just might find it never to be as good as the real thing. 8)

Treadmills are valuable for me only because sometimes there's no option with summer thunderstorms or extreme heat. Other than that, I hate 'em. Don't use it exclusively, in my opinion- it always seems to aggravate my ankles, and if I have any tendon soreness, it aggravates it further.

I use a treadmill for the ability to have a highly structured workout. I also find the deck offers a slightly softer strike which is a litte easier on my joints. So, I use one.

But, I do prefer to run outdoors, simply because I prefer to be outdoors and I find the variety of scenery better.

Of course, since I use a treadmill at a gym, sometimes the "scenery" there is pretty nice too... :wink: