Well i have been sick for about 4 months now, i went to the doctor about two months into it and they said i either had bronchitus or pneamonea, they gave me an inhailer and some other medicines and they ran out after about a week, but i never got over the sickness.
Recently the symptoms have kind of changed. Before everytime i coughed you could here flem or water in my lungs. It didn't irritate me that much, but yesterday i threw up and some really big white odd shaped things came out. i started coughing when i was throwing up and about 3 of them came out. and i think one of them was to big and it is still bothering me, i try getting it out but it is to big. i think they might be like mucus or something but they are about the size of my gums.. I don't know what it is, but my flem cough is getting better, but i don't know what to do about this white clump stuck in my throat. I am 17 years old and answers would be nice.

Sometimes Ill cought out a small lump of a white solid. A build up of something. I've had a very very sore throat for the past week.

Just now one about 1/3 the size of a peanut came out my mouth, the lump in my throat felt smaller. I think this white solid is whats stuck in our throats making us sick.

I noticed this happens when there is too much mucus in my body. Usually from smoking to many ciggerettes or letting a small cold get out of hand creating a bunch of mucus.

Have you ever been around an old man who has the worst breathe, like sh*t breathe. Well I smooshed the white lump up between my fingers and it smelled just like an old mans breathe. These white clumps stay clumped up in our throats so long they smell like death!

So whatever the white lumps are, they are a side effect of having a too much mucus in our bodies, they smell like death, and no one knows what they are called.

Sorry if I have no answers for you, but I know wut ur talkin about with those white clumps of solid coming from your throat. Does anyone know what they are called?

Happens to me to im only 14, i dont know why
it smells when i squeeze it too.

happens a lot of times to me honestly im only 14 too -.-

Is it this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonsillolith

Those white things are called tonsil rocks, and you get them when you have holes in your tonsils, which is called having cryptic tonsils.

What happens is small pieces of debris (food, mucus, dust) get caught in the holes in your tonsils and your body starts to create a sulfuric coating around them... sort of like the way a clam makes a pearl when something gets inside its shell. This coating is what forms the "white things" or tonsil rocks.

Most likely you're getting more tonsil rocks because you are sick. They probably aren't making you sick. When you're sick a lot of c**p drips down your throat, but I probably don't need to tell you that!

They aren't really anything to worry about, nor is there anything a doctor can do other than remove your tonsils if they get really bad. But most people find that they'd rather deal with the rocks than surgery.

I've had them for a few years now, although mostly when I lived in an area where I had a ton of allergies. When I had allergies I had them every few weeks. Since moving to Arizona (no allergies) I've only had like maybe 1 or 2 a year.

If I were you guys I would maybe look into taking allergy meds and/or using a neti pot. I know pouring saline through your nose with a neti pot sounds scary, but I use one and its not bad feeling at all. Just weird at first. You can get em at walgreens or other drug stores.

hope i could help, I tried to provide all the knowledge I've gathered from doctors, etc in this post.

:-D Hey this posting was really useful and I found the comments in the chain hilarious!!! Old man breath! Its so true tonsil rocks smell like death and young people shouldn't have to deal with that. I cringe at so many things and they are definitely one of them. This kind of stuff should be sdvertised better, why doesn't anyone you ask know the name, cause or cure for this strange affliction when 90+% of the population suffer from it.
I recently moved to an area where my allergies flared up tenfold and the tonsilolliths seemed to be more recurrant then, however anti hiatamines, a steamer, menthol lonzenges help. Also vitamin c and zinc for your immune system seems to keep it under control.
I'm seriously considering getting my tonsils removed, but apparently when you have these tonsil rocks in your throat they don't actually cause bad breath because your saliva neutralises the odour. I'm not so convinced though!

Oh if anyone knows if having your tonsils removed has an affect on the quality and tone of a singer's voice please could you post up whatever you know. Thanks x

OMG i though i was the only person in the world who had this, thank god i put it in the search engine, i did laugh when i saw the replies because its what ive been going through for years now, i wondered why i always have bad breath, i clean my teeth all the time, floss and go to the dentist every 6 months. So im not a smelly throated freak after all, there are lots of us!!!

I get those too, but i had my tonsils removed when I was 7, and i feel them coming from above my mouth, from the area behind my nose so it can't be tonsillitis, at least not for me. And it seems that tonsillitis is more of a creamy/white color, based on what I have read, but what I get is light yellow maybe almost green.

Hi all, 

I have had these for the past year. I just wanted to let people know that alcohol seems to work for me. I usually can feel that they are there in the background, but have hard time getting them out, but I have noticed the day or days after I have been out drinking that they tend to come up. Not sure why, but I have become an alcoholist since ( kidding ). Try it out, hard licker might be better than beer, not sure. 

lol u is funny.... i have the same problem but it comes and goes it comes and goes for me,,,, i dont know why it came back after 2 years ,,,, trying to work out what i did different last year health wise

Ismail wrote:

Guest wrote:

wel I use a FLAT toothpick and dig it out, it may cause you to gag a few times but i dont mind once that uncomfortable stone is gone

I had two of this white smell thing come up the other day and i was drinking sidekik, vodka and coke and u may be right as this has never happend to me before.. :) im 17

I get these all the time. I wet a q- tip and pop them right out! There are actually videos on you tube that show you easier ways to get them out :)

i get them alot to the point where i have found a way myself to actually push them out!! and yes you are right lol they smell like pure sh*t lol im not sick though nor do i have a sore throat but im absolutely positive that it is built up food that gathers up in these pockets in the back of the throat or in my case , these small little holes in my tonsils, i believe they are called tonsil stones