does early pregnancy cause excessive burping

Health Advisor
Hi, I didn’t get the burping episodes until I was in the second trimester and third. My doctor said it was due to high progesterone levels in pregnancy that relax the muscles in the gastrointestinal tract (as well as elsewhere). Since the muscles are working slower, indigestion is also slower, leading to all sorts of gasses-burping and flatulence as well as bloating.

However, when my best friend told me she thought she was pregnant, she was also burping. I laughed at her, thinking she was talking madness but it did turn out she was pregnant and she told me that there were other women she talked to who had the same burping symptoms even before having the pregnancy tests done. They all turned out to be pregnant. I don’t have an explanation for this but it seems that it happens!

Excessive burping isn't typically listed on any overview of early pregnancy signs, but it can happen. Your progesterone levels rise early on in your first trimester, and this leads to slowed digestion. Abdominal bloating and discomfort is an early pregnancy sign for that reason. Some women will notice that they begin burping and releasing wind as well, so those can be pregnancy symptoms. 

Of course, if you don't already know you are pregnant, there is no need to add "burping and wind" to your mental checklist of pregnancy signs, along with tender breasts, nausea, fatigue, and frequent urination. You might just be burping because you have had gassy foods, as well. Nothing beats a positive pregnancy test. Burping by itself definitely isn't a reason to suspect pregnancy. 

neha monga wrote:

both of my pregnancies i started burping excessivly about a week week in a half before i found out i was pregnant, so i would say yes.

I HAVE BEEN BELCHING LIKE CRAZY FOR THE LAST 3 WEEKS....AND WHEN MY PERIOD CAME ON IT WAS 2 DAYS....NOT THE NORMAL 4/5.....? I DUNNO....GUESS ONLY TIME WILL TELL

Major burping and everything else (farting, hiccuping) 8-| going on here and I'm in my second trimester!

I have been burping ALOT for about the past week. One day i felt kinda quessy but i didnt get sick. I had my period on time but it only lasted for two days, then after that i had light pink/ brown spotting, but not enough to wear something, i just noticed it when i used the restroom. I have been moody but accounted that from my period. Im not quite for sure what to think because i have been told my tubes were blocked and wont be able to have kids. Did i just have an irregular period? I usually dont, Im usually very regular so im slightly confussed right now. I dont want to convince myself that i am only to be let down. . . any advice anyone?

so what happened? were u pregnant?

I have been waking up every morning feeling very sick, ive started getting allergies which i never have had a problem with, ive thrown up just a little  bit, i hardly ever burp and ive been excessivly burbing loud and crazy! ive been constipated, my vaginal discharge has beeen coming out like crazy. Headaches, cravings.......etc! sounds like im pregnant right? well i guess time will tell. i should be getting my period within the next week

neha monga wrote:

I'm currently 12 weeks pregnant and I'm burping terrible for about 3-4 weeks now, more than I did with my two previous pregnancies and its worse on an evening. Think its to do with hormones and relaxing of the whole digestive tract and the build up of excess gases. Finding it kinda uncomfortable by the end of the day because I keep feeling like I'm gonna be sick with it x

so r u pregnant?

She just said she is 12 weeks pregnant!

i been burping alot for the past 2 weeks and i even get a really bad pain that comes and goes , i havent been eating alot lately but i still burp like i ate more than ever i even feel nausea but never throw up , everyting i eat just feels like its coming back up but nothing happens ... what can this be ? i should be expecting my period in the next week so i guess ill have to wait & time will tell !

I'm 17 My Period Is Not Due Till At Least Next Week But its Always Iffy I Go To The Toilet At Least Every Hour During The Day And Every 2 Hours In Da Night I'm Constantly Burping And Flatulant But if I am 2 Test Now Would it Come Out Negative Because My Period Hasn't Arrived Or Been Missed Yet?

sameee case did with me