Hello, folks. I was suggested to try with endometrial ablation. As I understand, it is an alternative to hysterectomy and I am thinking of trying it. I would like to know if endometrial ablation will guarrantee that the periods will stop. I would really appreciate this. Thanks in advance. Bye, guys!

Hello. Endometrial ablation uses a tube that is placed into the uterus through vagina and cervix. A tiny camera is attached to that tube that is called hysteroscope. In that way a uterine cavity is shown on TV screen. Through this viewing tube a heat generated tool is being inserted. In that way lining of uterus is being vaporized. This will decrease menstrual flow or even stop it. After this, there are very little chances for pregnancy. However, some women continue with contraception. I hope everything will be all right. Best of luck!

Hi. I just had an endometrial ablation (called Novasure) on June 23rd. I wasn't guaranteed that it would completely stop periods since NOTHING is guaranteed. I did this to stop my very heavy cycles. I just had my first bleeding to start July 5th. It is lighter than normal but still a normal period to me. I have a friend who had one several years ago and only had 6 periods and then they stopped and has only had one more in the past year. I'd say go for it and good luck. I would prefer not to have them anymore either but who knows, they may stop soon. BTW, I'm 44 and my friend is also the same age.

Guest wrote:

I am glad to hear this....I had an endometrial ablation and a D N C on Aug 15th, had on cycle the month of May, but June....I have start my cycle (8 days & counting), its heavier then ususal and i am seeing my doctor on Friday. Just want to know all is ok?

I had n ablation in April 2012 and my periods have not stop just - I just bleed less. Some months I may not have a period at all. So it has been a year and I am still having periods.

I had the nova sure ablation done it will be 3 years in jan 2014 and I have not seen a period since I'm 45yrs old I was down for a day and a half but no problems since I would recommend it

No, there is no guarantee that your periods will cease. I had an ablation in 10/2012 and I have very slight bleeding every month with day 1 being where a tampon is questionable but since there is some slight blood, I use one. After day 1 there is really no need for tampons but I still use them even though it could be avoided. This only last for 2 days, 3 days max.

Man you are lucky.. I had the surgery and my periods are back every month still.