After a lifetime of heavy periods, I took my doctor's advice to try to lighten them up.  He convinced me to try the pill (which never worked), suggested an IUD, which I declined after watching my daughter suffer severe acne and hair loss as a result of hers (and finding a forum like this with many similar stories), and then he suggested Novasure's ablation.  I researched, looking for a forum like this, with real women's opinions, but found nothing but Novasure's and the medical community's generic info, which proclaimed it safe and effective. In 2008 I underwent the procedure, and it went well.  I was excited to be free of the heavy monthly periods finally.  Everything went according to the literature and doctor's instruction.  Two months later I had some cramping and discharge.  Nothing alarming, until a couple more months passed and the cramps increased in intensity and duration.  At six months I was in so much pain once a month it would stop me in my tracks.  I gave birth to two children, without pain medication, and those cramps rivaled the most intense stage of labor.  At times, the blood I would pass (which now seemed to be coming twice a month) was dark brown and foul smelling.  I saw a nurse practitioner who told me to take ibuprofen and sent me on my way.  When I was cramping and spotting twice a month, I finally scheduled an appointment with an OB/GYN (the one who performed the procedure had moved) and after an ultrasound, he discovered scar tissue had formed over the endometrium, which hadn't been effectively burned off during the ablation, trapping blood and forcing it back up into the fallopian tubes.  A year after my ablation, at the age of 43, I had to have a hysterectomy.  The procedure took nearly twice as long as normal because my uterus had so enlarged and had collapsed backward into the bowels.

Since then I have met several other women with the same outcome after endometrial ablation.  In retrospect, after much research, and learning about estrogen dominance, I would have changed my diet to clean, organic eating, tried progestrone cream, and NOT taken my doctor's advice!!  I have felt strongly we need to get the word out, and I'm happy to see this forum exists!  I wish I would have found it four years ago!!

I think I am having the same issues as you have had. I had very heavy, irregular periods. I would go 6 months without having 1 and then wham! bleeding so heavy soaking through both super-plus tampons and overnight pads in an hour or 2. Keep going to the doctor, he kept doing tests and giving me bc pills. The pills never helped- even when I was told to tak the large dosage (4 pills a day) to stop the bledding. FINALLY, they decided to do the abalation- I had the radio frequency procedure, August 09. But I don't think they did it long enough. During the consult, they said 90 seconds however during the actual procedure, maybe 20 seconds in, the doctor asked if they nurse had started the timer- she said no!Then I guess they used their watch or something because he said "how long has it been?" The nurse said "52 seconds". He immediately turned it off- so by estimate 38 seconds too soon. I didn't think much about it that day because even with the shot & pain meds, it hurt so much. I think they my endometrium was not effectively burned off, either. I

After a bit of spotting and pain, my recovery went ok. Six months after, I had a little spotting 1 month, a little cramping now and then but mostly nothing for 3 years. Then in September 2012, I started having 2 or 3 days of severe pain and bleeding. I took OTC pain meds, it was manageable. Then in October & November, same thing. The day of Christmas (2012) I started spotting. First it was dark brown and smelled bad. Then it increased to bright red and had clots. Then it slowed down to brown and then it increased again. Altogether, I have been bleeding for 3 weeks straight this time and had moderate to severe pain. Mostly like cramps but then my right leg has a burning pain when I have a bad cramp.  I called the doctor to make an appointment and the first available appt is 2 weeks away!

The doctor said at the original appointment that if this did not work, the next step is hysterectomy. So here I am at 39, went through the abalation and will probably have to have the hysterectomy. I have read a few boards about women having a second abalation, but i don't think I would put myself through that again.

I think all women considering an abalation should get all the facts before having one. After everything I have been through and where I am now, I would probably have just asked to do the hysterectomy to begin with.

Did the hysterectomy help get rid of the pain? Did you have to have a full hysterectomy ?

I had the surgery in May of 2007 and have not had any problems at all. No type of pain or anything. Maybe you other women the surgery was not just for you.

Yes, women suffer because of this procedure. It is performed when it should not. Maybe if Michelle Obama had this procedure then the FDA might look into this. What will it take for women to do their homework before this procedure strikes more women. You are incinerating your insides. Pancreas, appendixes, bladders can be destroyed. Ever hear about PAS? Have a metal birth control device and your physician performs this procedure so that the birth control device acts like a conductor of metal? Even if you think things are better, eventually things turn ugly. Most women go on to have a hysterectomy. Leave your ovaries in (if they haven't already been destroyed) and find a physician that will help you even if your insurance requires this procedure first. Many women should be exempt from this procedure. Signed, A Victim of Novasure