I was diagnosed with endometriosis in my twentys. Had children, was put on the pill and have been in for several laparascomies which were supposed to "take care" of the endometriosis. I am now 41 and am still struggling with it. During my last laparoscomy my doctor looked, but didnt do anything because she said there was too much damage and scar tissue, and the only course of action was a total hysterectomy. That was when I was 39. I chose not to do it. I'm deathly afraid of a hysterectomy. Ive been prone to depression all my life, and only suspect it will be worse after one. I heard from an aquaintance about ablation. Wouldnt it make sense if I didnt have my endometrial lining, that no more could grow? Im an unusual case I guess, the pain is tolerable, but it is causing problems with my bladder and bowel. If I can live with what I already have, would the ablation help with future growth?

Hello! I think that you are so right about wishing to avoid hysterectomy. I reckon that is the last choice a woman should choose and if possible to avoid, even better. Hysterectomy at women who are approaching menopause can be very dangerous. Considering you are prone to depressions, I think you did the right thing saying No to it.
My aunt had it when she was 46, she was advised to have it because she had some bloody cysts on her ovaries. After the operation, she was feeling great, maybe too great for someone who’s just been operated, and in a few months time she started suffering from depression, the worst kind.

As for endometriosis, I guess you are a lucky one. My sister has it as well, she has been diagnosed with it when she was 18. She is still on the pills and that works for now but I am very concerned what will happen when she decides to have children.
I’ve been reading that some women don’t have many symptoms or if they were bearable can even wait for the menopause when things would work out on their own.

As for endometrial ablation…I have been reading about the procedure, but I didn’t get one thing right. In endometriosis, these cells of the lining grow on other sites, not only in the uterus, right? So, during ovulation the lining grows on these other sites as well as in the uterus. But endometrial ablation destroys just the cells in the uterus, am I right? So, if you destroy the cells in the uterus but you don’t destroy the cells on the tubes, or ovaries or wherever, doesn’t that mean that the lining would still grow on these other sights?

This is what I don’t understand! Do you have an insight into that? Have you talked to your doc about this option at all. I know that ablation is really helpful for women who have normal linings but heavy periods and that they eventually stop having their periods but I am not sure how it works for the endometriosis.

Thank you

I am 33 yrs old, have 3 children, and had a tubal ligation (tubes tied) in 1998. I was diagnosed with endometriosis in 2002, though I had signs of it long before that. At this point they also told me that it was wrapped around my colon. My mother and sister both had hysterectomies before age 30 because of it, so it does run in my family. My first line of treatment was Lupron injections, and they really helped for about 2 years. During this time, my family doc also found that I had PCOS, and put me on the pill to manage that, which also worked. In 2005, I began to have severe pain again, with bloating, problems with my bowels, left kidney and left ovary.

I moved across the country that year, so it took awhile to become established with a new doc. I had surgery in August 2006, including endometrial ablation and laparoscopy. During the ablation, the doctor found many fibroids in my uterus and removed them during the procedure. During the laparoscopy, he removed all of the endometriosis that he could; but he also saw it on my colon and elected to leave it alone, not wanting to risk damage to the colon. He also found my left ovary covered in cysts and drilled it in 3 places to drain it. After surgery, I felt GREAT!!!! But it lasted less than a year:(

In March of this year, 2007, I went back in and he was disappointed. He was hoping the ablation would work. He said that it's a very new procedure, and they're not yet sure how well it works for endometriosis cases; I was willing to give it a shot, rather than jump to a hysterectomy. But one year later, I'm facing that hysterectomy in 2 weeks, where I will also be having both ovaries removed, as they are both now covered in cysts and causing severe pain. I agree that the ablation will NOT help the endo tissue that grows OUTSIDE of the uterus (aka endometriosis) and therefore really has no effect on the growth of the endometriosis itself. It really did help with the normal pain associated with menstrual cycles, and removal of the cysts on that ovary also really helped, too.. but it was nothing more than a band-aid, because here we are one year later, except it's worse.

Now, I'm also having problems with my kidneys and bladder, and no tests are revealing anything, so they need to go in and see where the endometriosis is... I'm very nervous about the hysterectomy, as it was supposed to be scheduled in April, but it's time. We've tried everything, and I need my life back. I've been sick for too many years, and the pain and fatique in itself makes me very depressed and is having a huge impact on my life with work and at home. I do have one question though... My doc is giving me the option of having both ovaries removed, or just the left one. After the most recent ultrasound finding cysts on BOTH, I'm pretty sure I just want them both gone. I'm having trouble coming to terms with EITHER decision, as keeping an ovary could mean that the endo just keeps growing and I keep dealing with recurrent cysts, etc... and losing them both means, well, many things... I'm confused. But I am here as proof that ablation does NOT work for endo, ladies! It does help the bleeding and the monthly cramping, but it is very permanent as far as having anymore children. That was not a concern for me, so I went ahead with it. Anyway, thanks for reading if you got this far...

Mayo is correct about ablation and endo. This is exactly what my gyno told me. I looked into endo ablation when no birth control pills would stop breakthrough bleeding. I did 6 rounds of depo shots which suppresses your system into "menopause." Unfortunately you can only do six shots but they worked wonderfully.

I am breakthrough bleeding again on Yaz after three months. I am looking into bioidentical progesterone cream and reading about natural hormone replacement. If I am correct, if I get enough progesterone in me, my periods will be lighter, if at all. If this doesn't work, then I look at a hysterectomy. I am 42. Discovered my endo when trying to get pregnant at 33, had a laparoscopy, had to do artificial insemination with gonal F injections when we were finally blessed with our daughter. I was 37 when I had her and the endo came back almost immediately after her birth.

I have a friend who is going through the ablation and I'm interested to find out how it went and the long-term effects. As my gyno said, as long as you are producing the hormones and the cells are still out there implanting, you will still get endo. pain. The option is to have a hysto and keep at least one ovary praying that it has not been affected by endo.

I am 32. My first laperoscopy was done at 18 (1997), the second done at 22 (2001) which finally confirmed endometriosis. The dr burrned off as much as she could, but really what good was it going to do? It just comes back. We tried birth control pills, one after the other... none of them worked. From the first period, it's always been heavy bleeding for 9 days straight. sever pain during cycles and by time i reached high school the pain was all the time. Forget having sex, it was too pain full to enjoy... something had to be done. At 21 i was ready to have a hysterectomy, and actually found a doctor who was willing to perform it on a 21 year old. But she gave me one other option, depo Lupron. It saved my life, seriously! I've been getting the Lupron shots since June of 2001 and am still receiving them today (October 2009). I've been so afraid of stopping the shot. There's always the chance that it doesn't make it stop after the recommended 6 months of treatment. I've had to move to another state, and so i had to find another dr. The first dr. made me go to a specalist, and she had no problems with continuing treatment. She eventually gave up her practice and the search was on again. And still, my new dr has no problems continuing this treatment. Now i'm fighting the insurance, since changing providers, it's become pricier to continue treatment. But it's worth it.

So a friend of mine suggested i check out the endometrialblation. So far there's not much information about how it affects patients with endometriosis. What i have seen are several posts where the person ends up having other things that complicate the alablation. Or how it might take a couple of alablations to really help. After reading this, it sounds like i won't be complaining about the price of the shot... it's my only alternative then a hysterectomy

Ablation stops any retrograte menstruation which may be contributing to the symptoms from endometriosis.

I'd like to begin by thanking everyone who has posted so far for your personal stories. It really helps to know that your own experiences are not unique.

I have had my endo removed 4 times so far. The first prior to AIH treatment which resulted in the conception and healthy birth of our first child. 3 years later, a repeat performance and our second child was conceived. I thank every doctor, nurse and god that anyone believes in for them both.

Following the children the pattern of return of the endo was roughly a 3 year cycle. I did try a nasal hormone spray for 6 months of instant menopause to see if that would delay the need for the next surgery. It did... by 6 months :-) During the last endo zapping session I had a Merina IUD put in place - it contains its own hormone delivery and should last 5 years. Unfortunately the symtoms started again at the 3 year mark but I've just been slack/tolerant/at a loss as to the next step, so it's now been 4 years.

Currently, I have lower back pain exactly the same as last time (it was growing on ligaments of my spine), I don't have a monthly period that lasts a week, I have a fortnightly spotting that includes cramping. So... after being told that removing ovaries at 42 is not great for potential osteoperosis (I already have scoliosis so I probably don't need that) I have decided to have my Mirena removed, the endo lasered away again and this time I'm having the NovaSure ablation procedure. Logic tells me that at least it will stop fresh cells travelling up the fallopian tubes and creating more trouble but of course, there's always those microscopic bits that the lazer misses and the hormones of our life-giving but pain-in-the-arse ovaries manage to find.

Wish me luck. It happens next Thursday. I know the initial effect will be just like every other time - relief from immediate pain and discomfort. Not until the next 3-4 year window will I know if it was the right decision and whether further treatment will be required.

Apparently girls, when we hit menopause, we get hot flushes, mood swings, dry vagina, lack of sexual response and generally shitty-ness BUT the good old endo packs it's bags and says "Thanks for everything, but I don't like it here anymore". Woo-hoo!! And we thought puberty was crappy :-)

Good luck to all of you dealing with the same thing. I truly do feel your pain.
I'll post again after the op and let you know what I think of the procedure.
Vic :-)

I hope your surgery went well. I was getting laproscopy (sp?) done every 2 years for 8 years before I had the Endometrial ablation done. I had this done in 2005 and have been endo free ever since. I was not one of the lucky ones who stop getting periods but they are much shorter, lighter, and pain free. I hope it works for you as it did me.

I was diagnosed with Endo when I was 17 and was put on the pill and given high doses of Ibuprofin for cramps. Over the years the pill would work for 6 months to a year then they would switch me to a different dose or kind. I ended up getting the Depo shot and boy life was great but after 6 years they said I needed to get off of it because they didn't know what the long term effects would be. Again I was placed on the pill. In 2005 I suffered a blood clot in my ankle (misdiagnosed by doctors as an ankle injury) and nearly lost my life when the clot broke free and traveled to my lungs. At that time my doctor highly recommended a hysterectomy. I didn't get it and I'm thankful because since then I have had 2 wonderful kids. Between my kids my cycle was wonderful, I thought I knew what a "normal" period was like but since the birth of my son it has gotten only worse. Now I've started have severe headaches prior, cramping up to a week prior then when I start it gets worse. The first couple days I can hardly move, then the exhaustion kicks in. I might have 2-4 days of heavy bleeding then another few days of light, then stop for a couple days then the heavy bleeding back again. My actual period usually lasts 7-10 days but it seems that I finally feel back to normal and the cycle starts all over again. I go in and see a doctor on Friday but was just looking for others in the situation. Since I now have a history of blood clots I can't take any hormones what so ever (I had to take shots of a blood thinner during my pregnancy to prevent blood clots). I'm going to be 40 years old in a few months and have no plans on more kids, infact I had my tubes tied after my son. I have a feeling I'm going to hear hysterectomy again from my doctor but just looking into other options. Thanks

hi ladies I'm new to this site , I was wondering if you girls could help me out with so
Me of this. I'm 23 and have alwYs had bad periods and once in a while this dull awful pelvic pain that will come before or after my period. I had an abortion 2 yrs ago and last month I went to the hospital cuz I had pain in my right side n I kept getting bladder infection and every daybefote my period for the past 6 months bad painful bowel pains with back pain they did an ultra sound n said ihad cysts all over n inside my ovaries and iprob have endo and also can see clumps of it under my cervix! I can even feel it . It feels like fingers! :-( I'm so scared cuz I won't get a lApricopy for lime 6 months n havebeen ttc for a year now with my fiancé! I don't kno what stGe I have but I don't think it's good. I'm so scared I will never have a baby , what a nightmRe I Thot! Last to
E when I got preg it was cuz I took bc for only one month n got preg the day after my period, so maybe I'll have to do thatafter the surgery ? Or maybe I'll try that now ? I don't kno how to deal with it I cry everyday . The only thing I'm thankful for is that I don't have pAin during intercourse.

I just had that surgery done Jan of this year and now I have a thyroid tumor and I have to have that removed and my dr said that a hysterectomy was a option but I'm scared do do that I mean I'm 43 and I'm not trying to have anymore children its just the idea of not feeling like a complete women after all that and all this started for me after having a abortion 7years ago its crazy the things a women's body go through

Well first I pray ur sister is able to have children when she's ready I had no other choice every mo I was in
so much pain I thought I was gonna die but I knew something was wrong you 17 years of marriage 3 kids had that one abortion and then never got pregnant at all and using nothing something was wrong and now I got to get the tumor removed cause my stomach looks like I'm 3 mo and that's not a good look I wish u all the best with everything also

I wish u all the luck cause it did help with the major pain and cramping but it's like what will my body go through next but I'm sure a hysterectomy is not what I wins go through that scares the hell out of me just the idea of it

The goal of treatment of endometriosis is to stop the period from occurring. If you can stop the periods you stop the growth of The endometriosis. I have suffered from this disease for a very long time, I am almost 30 and was diagnosed at 17. I have personally tried everything, continuous birth control without placebos or breaks, I've had 4 laperscopies with removal, done lupron, and dept provera. Everything works for a little while, but for me even microscopic scar tissue makes me feel as if my body is being torn asunder. If a woman's body doesn't try to shed anything, it doesn't cause the tissue that has lodged itself elsewhere to attempt to do the same. It's kind of scary knowing that women with endo are essentially bleeding internally monthly, and to think it's all in our heads.

Can I ask how you are now...a year or so on?
I am 45 and have 2 children and have suffered with my periods most of my adult life.... non existant periods for months on end then very heavy clotting.... endometriosis, a tilted womb, PCOS, abnormal hormone levels and then 2 C Sections (the last one was 9 years ago). It's a miracle I was able to get pregnant.
Anyway I stated have very watery coloured bleeding most days and put it down to my Merina IUD coil but now after seeing a specialist it seems i have a bleeding polyp. I'm going in on Monday to have it removed .
The specialist suggested i have Endometral Ablation and gave me a leaflet.
After researching it on the internet and on this page I'm not sure I'm even a suitable candidate after 2 C Sections, Endometriosis, and I have fibroids and a polyp and PCOS...... Your comments would be most welcome xxxx