hi. i'm doing weightlifting for 3 months.actually i used machines.i was wondering.does weightlifting stunt growth? i'm afraid of this.my bench press is 44 lbs, rowing 55 lbs, curl 13 lbs. will this weights stunt growth? pls answer guys.

pal, you're 13, don't get yourself involved.

you'll receive advice from some ill-concerned people saying "do it!" and "it doesn't stunt growth! there's no evidence!" but don't listen to that since they're not bothered about what happens to you.

listen, you're 13... you have another 5 years of DEFINITE growth. wait until you're 18, that's always my advice. why? i started lifting heavily everyday on my 16th birthday and by the time i'd reached 16 1/2 years old i realized i had entirely stopped growing at 5'5.5, shorter than both of my older brothers. why did i lift? i lifted because i gave into pressure since i wasn't big for playing rugby and since my eldest brother always insisted that i do since i was "scrawny."

ok, so what you're lifting isn't a ludicrous amount, but, listen here, as you go through puberty, you will put on muscle NATURALLY... your physique will develop, you will become stronger, your shoulders will broaden, and you will grow taller. muscle that you put on as a child won't look the same as when you're an adult because of the differences in hormones - i, personally, find lifting-oriented muscle on kids quite strange. what you must consider is that, ok, what you're lifting isn't heavy, but you will, in time (especially since you have AT LEAST 5 years until you stop growing), get stronger both naturally consistent with puberty and get stronger from lifting those weights, which will result in you lifting heavier... and heavier... and heavier... getting carried away. just don't: 13's too young.

want a credible theory for how weightlifting stunts growth? lifting produces more testosterone in your body - it results in more of the hormone testosterone in your system. lots and lots of testosterone (excess testosterone) is converted into estrogen, which closes ALL of your growth plates (all over your body). this happens when people naturally stop growing, but, obviously, this change can happen earlier than it is supposed to by weightlifting. if my academic status can give this any credibility then i have a 1st class hons degree in biomedicine and i'm currently mid-phd. i know these things.

why do people say it's a myth? because light lifting or body-weight exercises doesn't stunt growth... people look at research articles, see this, then tell others that it's a myth, when that's not the case. credible fitness websites/articles and research papers advocate SAFETY, i.e. not over-doing it.

trust me... i'm 23 years old now and i wish i had never lifted at 16 (you're 3 years younger than that!). WAIT until you're 18. trust me. i've been through it myself, so i genuinely care for your situation. count yourself lucky that i came across this question so fast. over and out.

hey! thanks for your advice. i'm gonna do the exersices with my bodyweight. thx so much.