My son is 17 and doing weight lifting. My friend told me this could stunted his growth. Is this true or just a mysth?

I think this is more myth than true, although there have been several studies conducted on teen weight lifting that suggest that certain types of weight lifting may damage the epiphysis, or growth plate, of bones. There is evidence that lifting heavy weight could speed up growth plate closure, which would stunt growth.
It is important for your son to do less “pressing exercises” and would also be good to do the “jumping sports” (like basketball, volleyball, where is lots of jumping involved). It is also important to use relatively lightweights and do 2-3 sets of no more than 15 repetitions. He should also try to limit workouts to 3, half-hour sessions per week.

your son wont stunt in growth i have been lifting since i was 12 years old i am now 18 and i am 6'1 and 210 lbs. its just a myth its completely un true and expecually at the age of 17.

If you are 18 and 6'1, you are not tall at all! That is very short for 18....

I've been told that lifting weights at an EARLY age can stunt growth but depending on how much growing he has left to do, it could possibly stunt his growth.

Very short? Why comment if you just guess, the average male height is 5'10, so 6'1 is 3 inches taller, so if anything he is tall.