Hi Everyone

For several years I have been considering cosmetic surgery but never really had the knack to just get down to doing some research into the procedures I want done (which is Lip Reduction).

I have always felt very sensitive about my lips but some of friends have told me to wait till I was a little older before actually having surgery.

I was wondering if anyone who has had Lip reduction could tell me about their experience as well as pass on details of any uk surgeoons that are experienced in this area.

Thanks alot.

browneyez

Hi Browneyez,

I live in the UK manchester to be exact. I too have been doing some research on getting my lips reduced. I have mostly been looking at USA and not the UK. Simply because more people have done it in the US than here.

Regarding the right surgeon, your guess is good as mine. I wont mind seeing consultants in the UK provided the consultation is free. I would be asking for before and after pictures. I know surgicare offers free consultation.

Have you done any research? Many clincs here are offering this treatment but the question remains who is the right surgeon. Are you looking to have both lips or one lip done? I think the price starts from 2k.

Let me know if you have heard anything

Laters

Hey

Yeah I thought of going to the US as well 1) because it is more popular there and b) it is relatively cheaper though price should not be the ultimate determining factor of who does your surgery I am sure you know that.

I have wanted this procedure since I was 16 years of age and I am now 22 so yes I have done alot of research. I have actually had a consultation with a nurse which was free but that was in Harley Street and I cannot remember the name of the company. I do know surgicare, trasform and The Belverdere clinic all based prestigous companies in the UK start their prices at 2500 for one lip and 3500 for both.

I have even considered going to othe european countries because of financial constraints but I am very skeptical as again it is not a common procedure in Europe. The surgeon must be experienced as their are risks such as aysymmetry and reactions to anaesthetic.

There are other threads in this forum started by people who live in the US who have also been interested in or done lip reduction so check those out. Right now I am thinking of finding someone in the UK who can do this well and who can provide details and evidence of previous reductions that he has done so I can see if he/she is good. I would prefer to go to the US but there other cost considerations such as flights, hotels and aftercare. Also in the UK I am particularly familar with the GMC (I am actually a doctor in training) so it would be easier for me to check a surgeons credentials.

Anyway if there is anything else let me know at the mo I am just trying to get through my exams.

Linda

Sorry just read my post and sorry for the grammar...

Hey Linda,

I understand the what you mean about the extra costs, one might accrue in the US. But it almost works out even. £2,500 for a lip in the UK. Would make that $4000 in the US. The cost in the US is from $1500 - $2500. Also, like you mentioned experience is key, so you have to ask yourself if you think more CS have experience in the UK than in the US. And I’m sure you know the answer is no.

Also, you can easily check Surgeons credentials in the US. I know you could heck the GMC but that’s still no guarantee you'd get a good result.

I worked out that $5,000 would cover everything. Kind of almost evens out the £2500 cost in the UK

You think going to Europe was risky? I almost had one done in Bangkok for £250. The surgeon was one of the best and is known for gender surgery. But I backed out at the last minute. My instincts go the better of me.

I'm still set up for the US, I have seen 2 surgeons who I liked. I’d most likely get a short term apartment for 2 weeks to cover my time. I could stay with my brother, who ironically is a Doctor, but there is no way I’d let him know I’m having this done

I’m only having the bottom one done. What about you?

TC

Sunny

Hey there

All your points are true. By the way where are you from ethnically?

I am not quite sure whether I will have one or both. Depends on what the surgeon thinks is best. I have not seen a surgeon yet but you say you have seen two. Are they based in the US?

Yes in terms of cost you are right it will probably level out my only concern is unforeseable reactions that always occur with surgery some early some late and who will you go to for this if you are back in the UK. I have been told that the final result of the surgery is often not seen until 3 months post-op so if there are any problems who then picks up the pieces (ie like assymetry and the possible need of a revision procedure god forbid)

Look I am not being pessimistic, and I would prefer a surgeon who has experinece in this procedure which is most likely to be found in the US my only problem is taking the time out from my studies to find a suitable surgeon and then going along to a consultation. Which is why I thought the UK would be best. But please let me know how you went about it because I will definitely consider going down that road.

I thought I would get in contact with the British Association of Plastic surgeons and ask about surgeons experienced in this type of surgery. You will probably also find that some American surgeons will practice here as well because people are paying more here than in the states.

Anyway let me know...

Linda

I have thougth about the problem of asymetry, I'm just looking at the probability of not having that problem and the odds i think would be in my favour if i have it done in the US. Of course one can't predict any unforessen eventualities. But i can only be posititve.

By the way i'm black, and i'd be having only the bottom done. I can live with the top one. The surgeon i found so far is Dr Klapper in NY. I still need to do more research on him.

I do figure it would be pretty hard trying to get this done especially as a student. I still might not rule out the UK but i wont do it unless i see b4 and after pics. And even then i wont be holding my breath.

Hey

Yeah i guess so. Thats true I have been wanting to do this for a long time but financial limitations as a young person and now as a student has meant that its a bit out of reach at the moment. I have been saving but really likewise I want to make sure I have the right surgeon before I go through with it.

I cannot ask my parents for the cash as like you said I dont really want my family to know about it. I guess it is the stigma that is attached to it supposedly you have some sort of inferiority complex and you are trying to make your self less black hoping to conform to what society calls 'beauty'. Anyway when do you think you will be doing the surgery?

I have been having second thoughts on the Uk i might actually check a few PS out and see what they have to offer. I think thats the best steponce i have seen their work and looked up their profile then i might decide. The other thing is i was actually going to emigrate to the Staes so i mgith wait. Depends on the projects i have here, either way i'm not holding back anymore.

I'm gong to get some bookings in july/august to see whats on offer

They dont have PM's here hit me on my email _[removed]_ * i dont know if mods e-mails allow this though*

why is it so expensive? its only removing tissue... and its not such a large area.

I am not quite sure. I guess it is classed as cosmetic surgery and their are aneasthetic costs, after care costs and so on. I have asked myself that before afterall it is also done as an outpatient procedure so i dont know why it is so expensive here. Note in the US it is alot cheaper. I guess it is the effect of UK prices.

Are you by any chance interested in the procedure

Hey there, I have read all previous posts and I too am considering undergoing lip reduction surgery, though only for the bottom one. I'm a white male and currently a student so my funds are pretty (i.e. extremely) limited. At first I expected it to cost somewhere around £500, which I could have afforded after working for a couple of weeks (or using part of my student loan ) but with prices starting at £2000 it kind of leaves me hopeless, especialy as I have considered combining it with a chin implant. Receding chin and fat lip.. Not only do I have no self-confidence, but it also appears to others like I have no self-confidence.
I have thought about talking about it with my parents to see if they would help me financially (they spent hundreds of pounds treating my brother's severe acne and allergies), but that would only alienate me even more from my father who would never understand my reasons for wanting it. I can already see him sneering.
I hadn't thought of doing it abroad though, and seeing as I'm about to leave for six months to study in the United States I might do a bit more research before going. How long does it take between initial consultation and surgery? I'd expect it to be at least a couple of months. The only problem about doing it in the US is aftercare.. There is no way I would be able to afford to go back in the event something goes wrong..

What a rant, I apologise for the long post but this is the first time I've posted on such a forum, and would really appreciate any advice and feedback.. Thanks!

HI,

If you are going to the US for 6months then you might as well take advantage of the opportunity. £2k would be more than enough to cover the cots in the USA. I would choose that option if i were you. I'm actually emigrating to the states in January so i'm going to wait, however i would still be looking at the some surgeons here.

You do know there are credit facilites for surgery in the UK? Where you dont ave to make a full payment put only a monthly sum. However the cost is less important than finding the right surgeon.

Good luck

Hi everyone

I havent really looked at this thread for long as I have had exams and all that.

Sorry re3flection that I havent replied but yes I am now actually thinking about going to the states and of course if you ar going to be there long term then take advantage. I wonder if you could let me know your final decision.

My obstacle is money as I am a student too and finding the right surgeon. I know that they have more experience of this procedure in the US in comparison to the UK, But I would rule out the rest of europe and asia as it becomes increasingly difficult to ascertain the qualifications and experience the surgeon has. Don't get me wrong some of the best surgeons are from abroad but really it is about the experience your surgeon has which I am sure you know very well and I don't want to be patronizing.

My advice is meet with surgeon in the US, there are other posting similar to this thread that were started by people living in the US that had similar issues and they have actually got details of surgeons whose particular interest is in orofacial surgery.

As for me, I would really like to find out how it goes for you and I think sadly I shall have to wait till the end of my course to that (Medicine 6 years but halfway through and still going!!!)

Has anyone had lip reduction surgery in England? I'm in London, and know that a few of the big clinics (Transform, Surgicare) do the surgery, but how experienced are the surgeons, and how much does it cost?
Thanks.