I'm considering getting a consult with Dr. Norman about my possible hyperparathyroidism. I have calcium levels in the high 10's (up to 11 twice) but my PTH levels have been 17, 20, and 23. My ionized calcium was 5.6. Dr. Norman himself told me through email there was an 80% chance I had this disease based on those numbers, and that I seemed to be one of the rare cases where there's a 10 to 20% chance that surgery will not help. He told me it comes down to risk vs. reward.

I'm a 28 year old male and just want my life back. I've had mild side effects (headaches, fatigue, just don't feel good) for about two years, but just recently started having atrial fibrillation (heart rhythm problems). I can hardly sleep at night because my heart will go out of rhythm or act like it's going to. I have to sleep in a chair as sitting up seems to help. I dont' know if it's all related or not... but I'm about ready to have the surgery and just hope it fixes it.

Anyway, if I have a rare case of an already rare disease... should I go to Dr. Norman? Obviously he does more of this than anyone, but I've read a lot on here about how the aftercare is lacking, and about how rude he can be. I know for a fact he is very cocky. I've talked with him through email four or five times, and he has made some bold claims and he does come off as a know it all. That's fine I guess if he really does know everything about the parathyroid. If you have an experience with Dr. Norman please post about it so I can make a decision. Thanks!

Mr B
You are right that Dr Norman does more parathyroid surgeries than anyone. Many patients are very pleased with his care. His website is a great service to all of us. It sounds like he has tried to be honest with you.

If you have been reading all the parathyroid posts you already know that I highly recommend Dr Larian in Los Angeles. There are a number of highly qualified surgeons. I strongly recommend that you contact at least one other surgeon before making your decision. I don't know of any others who charge for looking at your records. I think you will feel more confident in your decision.

I wish you the best. mass

Don't confuse self-confidence and an absence of false modesty for arrogance. Jim Norman is the real deal. He doesn't take prisoners after the number of botched parathyrodectomies he sees from surgeons who have no business attempting a very specialized procedure. The top floor of Tampa General is a dedicated facility and the Center is by far and large the most experienced surgical unit in the world. It is dedicated to ONE procedure and ONLY one procedure, and the MDs are the top 4 most experienced parathyroid guys on the planet, as are is surgical nursing staff!

I cannot fully articulate the relief I have and the pleasure (....yes, pleasure!) of my experience. Jim Norman CURED me. I feel better than I have in years, and now have many more years left of my life with which to enjoy that restored quality of life.

I hope you went to Tamps, and urge all who might find this who are contemplating doing so to GO...

Of note, other highly experienced AAES surgeons perform re-ops on Jim's surgical failures, as well. If there "were" better patient after care, Tampa's percentage stats would be adjusted (slightly (downward) to reflect this accordingly. The stat is a misnomer because "all" patients are not engaged in follow-up. And yes, the facility is dedicated to one procedure and one procedure only. And I do not get paid to advertise for anyone, BTW, but let's take UCLA, just for an instance, who offers a multidisciplinary approach to their patients. They (UCLA) are certainly well versed in pre-operative assessment of "thyroid" and "adrenals". As many have learned, & a bit too late 'after' their PT surgery in, let's say Tampa--adequate pre-op evaluation certainly has it's advantages from a long-term recuperative aspect, for those who have additional metabolic disturbances.. Please don't discount how important this is to many for more completely recovery, as these issues run concurrently in many a PHPT patient. If common sense dictates, then it makes good sense to seek out reputable surgeons from the American Association of Endocrine Surgeons.

I read, his site...and bottom line is...he requires about $3,000 cash that insurance does NOT cover...for him to organize your papers that are sent to him....and "YES" I reall wanted to go to Tampa and would use my last money saved for the trip...then I have great insurance to cover the procedure....Problem is I don't have and can't get the extra $3,000 in cash....His site clearly states..."if you don't have the cash...don't bother to contact me".....I am a single mother with two physically handicapped children....I struggle daily to make the amount of money we have to last a month...there is not one penny extra for anything....and certainly not $3,000 to pay him......He may be the best but he is not going to be my surgeon.....just because I don't have hard cold cash......Maybe I should stant on the street corner with a bucket and beg strangers to contribute to my "I don't have the CASH for a doctor to organize my papers"....

I am five days post op with Dr. John Kennedy, Atlanta Georgia. I am doing quite well. I'm sorry you are struggling.
Maybe you can contact them? His staff is great and very compassionate. I still have a little sort throat, but I'm up and about. I'm 57 year old female and live on my own. I had scan at 7, surgery at 9 and was in my bed at home by 1:30 resting. Oh had bowl of grits after I got home. :)...
Hope this helps.

I posted from other posting. Bottom line, go to the local university hospitals, they have the wrong business model, and I do not believe them.

They have a lot of good information on their website! But be aware! Do not submit your information on the internet! The 5 mins phone call from their doctor will cost you $1700! The office staff is terrible when I try to explain what happened and seek the discount. It was a mess that you do not want to get into! Read the information on the website, talk to your doctors to get the lab work done, find a good surgeon in your area and it is simple procedure that a lot of doctors can do, do not believe that only their center can do the surgery! My doctor Shindo in OHSU Portland is great! I am so glad that I did not go to that center for the surgery! Stay away from them, all they want is your money!

Obviously you are fufuing....you post the same BS on other helath related social media websites. There is no intergity in your posts.

UCLA does not a good job of responding to potentil patients. Besides they do not use MIRP which I believe enables best practice parathyroidectomy. Even otherwise Dr. Norman provides best practice surgery. Read his website thoroughly.

It is not $3000.00 His website says out of state patients are $1750.00 and FL residents $750.00 and from personal experience I know they work with you if you can't afford the fees.

This is not true. This is a serious disease and don't you let anyone make the decision for you not to see such qualified surgeons. The goal is to get well and cured. Norman Parathyroid surgeons, nurses and office staff have been kind to me. I had two tumors removed on 10/19/2015. If I have a question I know I can call the surgeon or send an email. They have always returned my phone calls and emails. By the way I feel so much better. Thank God.