Hi, I would like to avoid taking any drugs because I am pregnant. I have been prescribed with therapy for high blood pressure, but it is just mild hypertension. Should I take these medicines or not?

Hi, it is always better to avoid taking any medicines in pregnancy, because they get metabolized and effect the fetus as well. So, if your hypertension can be kept in range of normal values by appropriate diet in would be much better. Try to avoid salt, as it is rich in sodium and sodium is responsible for elevation of blood pressure. You can use special sort of salt with potassium and decrease the amount of salt in the food gradually, to be able to get used to it. Avoid stress, because adrenalin leads to constriction of blood vessels. It is advisable to use more fruits and vegetables in your diet.