My daughter is 19 and just had her tonsills removed yesterday. The doctor said her tonsills were rotten and she was full of infection. Today, her throat is very sore and she can't swallow. The mucus is so thick and she gags everytime she swallows. On top of it all, she is type 1 diabetic which complicates everything. What can I do to relieve her pain and help the mucus thin out?

I have to agree with what you wrote i am a 35 year old male who has had the same procedure done over a year ago and still have the problem. I am hoping some one will give us the answers and soon. The worse part is not being able to eat like I want to.

I would recommend rinsing with lukewarm, diluted alcolol solution. You can get it at the pharmacy but they keep it behind the counter. Gargle GENTLY for about 2 minutes after eating and before bed........or basically whenever you feel like it. Tastes kind of weird but really helps!

I usually mix it with %50 water.

I had the same problem of too much mucus, and had a terrible time after the operation, with many sleepless nights because it was so hard to breathe comfortabl.  The doctor put me on a course of antibiotics (Augmentin) to reduce infection, but the best thing she referred me to, was over the counter antihistamines which thinned out the mucus, while making me sleepy.  The mucus thinned out and I returned to normal sleep patterns.  So try antihistamines.