I'm posting this on behalf of my sister. She is 24 and had her tonsils out a month ago today. She seemed to be recovering fine, but then a few days ago she coughed (or sneezed, I can't remember) and had a sharp pain in her throat. Since then she has complained that her throat has felt "tight" and one side of it feels more closed than the other. She says it is also sore again.

I took a look at the back of her throat and it looks a little strange. It looks as if it's "uneven" now or something. It's kind of heard to describe. The hangy-down part in her throat (larynx? can't remember what it's called right now) is not in the middle of her throat anymore as it should be, but is hanging more towards the left side. There is a very large arch on the right side and the left side does appear to be more closed off. It looks as if the whole back of her throat appears very uneven or asymmetrical.

Could this just be throat swelling or irritation form the surgery? Is it just healing asymmetrically? Is the tight feeling in her throat normal?

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? She is very scared and hardly has gotten any sleep because of this. I just want to know if this is just a normal part of recovery or if we should be concerned.

I don't know if it's an infection or what. She says she's not having trouble breathing, but that the left side (the side that seems tighter than the other) of her throat does feel like its harder to get air through.

Also, I find it odd that this is all happening so long after her surgery. I thought that most people were almost fully healed after the 1 month mark. Anyone else have any lingering issues this late in the recovery process?

Any help or advice would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Hi Miss Laura

I have almost a month since the tonsillectomy.

I too feel the same way. Feels uneven and tight. Did she get better with time. Did you gals ask the doctor.

I'm puzzled about this. My jaw can't open that wide since my throat feels like it healed without stretching.

Let me know what was the conclusion to her problem.

Thanks

ambi1204@yahoo.com

Have you figured out what was wrong yet? I feel my throat looks the same way you described your sisters. 1 month and 5 days after surgery. Let me know her results.

Hi, I had a tonsillectomy 2 weeks ago and I'm having the same problem. My left side is hanging down more than my right and actually looks attached to my uvula. I'm kind of paranoid about it and was wondering if anyone found out why it's like that and if it ever heals?

Did any of you guys have this go away? mine is exactly as you describe it, 5 weeks out.

Did you ever figure out about this? I'm having the same issue 2 weeks after my tonsillectomy.