I am a 23 year old male and the left side of my throat has had various levels of pain EVERYDAY all day for almost a year now. As well my left ear is also irritated and sore as well as the gland under my jaw bone. I also get very thick mucus from the left side where my tonsils used to be (had them taken out a year ago) and my breathing has gotten worse. I am taking a steroid inhaler to control my breathing as well as a steroid nasal spray for allergies. I have also had an MRI, my thyroid tested, and blood tests and they have all come back clean. My family doctor has found what he calls a "mucus retention cyst" just below where my tonsil used to be closer to my tongue. I am going to see an ENT in two weeks but I am hoping someone else out there may be experiencing the same thing. I cannot escape the pain... pain killers have little effect. I am thinking it has something to do with the mucus retention cyst or that it might be GERD (acid reflux) but so far doctors havn't been able to help. Is anyone else out there experiencing anything similar or can help??? Thanks.

It is interesting to read your message as I have the similar program. I had an irritation throat nearly 2.5 months. My GP couldn't find out the problem. I noticed 6 weeks ago myself that I had a white spot near my left tonsil (near the entrance of the throat). I don't have problem of eating, but the discomfort seems inside. Whenever I feel the discomfort, I also have pain near my left eye and my left ear. It comes and goes. I found that I don't have any discomfort sympton if I lie down for an hour. However the discomfort came back about average 30 min after I stood up. I went to see an ENT specialist who told me that it is a mucus retention cyst. He said that it could be caused by reflux acid from the stomach and advised me to take anti gastro pill first to see if an operation is required. It is very funny too. I had a long haul flight recently and feel the cyst is smaller after the journey. The discomfort seems less. I did look into my throat and found that it is smaller and looks flat. Really don't why. I did have an antibiotic course 10 days again because of an infection in other part of my body. I will be going to see my ENT specialist one month later. Hope he can explain the reason as I am worried the cyst may come back again.

did you get an answer

i am 26 f and have been experiencing this for almost a year. it started with waking up in the morning and clearing my throart and producing heavy, thick, yellow mucuos with "booger" looking pieces. I know its gross...but its reality. Then it progressed to being everyday, allday long. I am constantly spitting this heavy phlegm out. I have a constant swollen gland on my left side and very frequent sharp pain in my left eye as well as sharp, piercing headaches on my left side. Whenever I drink alcohol even if its just one drink, I have the raspiest voice in the morning. I have not been to a doctor for it. Ocassionaly I have jaw pain on the left side. I thought it was throat cancer or something cause it's constant. I think I need a dr. appt.

Well VChung it sounds like we have the same problem or at least it is very similar. For a short while the pain on my left side was not too bad and when I felt the cyst or bump down in my throat I noticed it was smaller than usual. I also lie down when the pain is bad and it does seem to get better but, just like you, once I am standing again it comes right back. I saw my ENT specialist a couple weeks ago and he sent me for a CT scan of my sinuses but they haven't called me back yet. I will be calling tomorrow to make another appointment. Please let me know what your specialist says and I will do the same. Thanks.

Just wanted to update my situation. I have visited 2 different ENT doctors about 3 times since I last posted and still they can't find anything. One believed it was a problem with my nerve. However, it turns out the real problem might be acid reflux. I had been having minor problems with my bowels (completely separate issue from the throat problem) over the past year or so. The bowel specialists suggested I have a barium swallow so he could observe what was happening. Turns out everything is mostly okay with my bowels but what they did find was that I have acid reflux. I will be starting my medication today to control this condition and will post again in a few weeks to let you know if anything improves.

Im posting in this section because i have had something very similar to all of your experiences. for the past 5 months+ i have had a weird throat problem. it feels like a lump stuck in my throat halfway down the left side. it seems to come and go but never really leaves. some days its more swollen, others i can hardly feel it. along with the throat pain i get headaches, and ear aches on the same side of my head. i used to be an avid smoker for about 3 years but am only 22-years old and cant see this being throat cancer. i have been to the ENT many times, and had a CT scan done on my throat and nasal cavities. this came back without any results and all my ENT specialist can conclude is that "you dont have cancer", advising me to use saline salt sprays for my nose. this is really frustrating and i have been worried this entire time. the feeling like something is stuck in my throat has not left and i get a weird pain along my left jaw as well, as though the bone itself is sensitive in a specific spot. any help would be awesome.

I as well have had similar issues regardless a relentless sore throat.
It started about 4 months ago with both glands on the side of my neck swollen-bad enough to cause discomfort when lying down.
The problem has also been associated with think mucus in the morning. I went to my GP and was told I had a cold and was giving Ibuprofen to help
with the possible inflammation. No change, tried cough drops and sore throat spray- nothing helps ease the mild constant burning. Note; I have been diagnosed with an auto immune disease. Which one-don’t know-looks like Lupus.
I have an appointment with my Rheumatologists in May and will ask for more thorough testing including my Thyroid.

Strangely I am glad to read this thread and hear that most of you are being diagnossed with Reflux. I was diagnosed with GERD 2 years ago and have been managing it with medication and a change in diet and lifestyle (I sleep on a slope). However, since January I have had a chronic sore throat, so went to see my dr after a couple of weeks.

She said my sore throat was "most likely" due to my reflux but I disputed it as in the 2-3 years that I have suffered from GERD I never had sore throat, I always had heartburn symptoms and a "lump in the throat" feeling, which I no longer get because of the meds.

Anyway, after 12 weeks with my throat still sore, I went back to the Dr, my throat is a little inflammed but nothing major, however my Dr decided to put me on 10 days of antibiotics as I have had the sore throat for so long. 9 days in and my throat isn't any better, so I think the doctor was right to start with, my sore throat is being caused by my GERD. And reading this thread and the diagnosis you are all getting too, I am more reassured.

Well after 9 months of having a sore throat and ear pain, the second ENT stated between having a mucous cyst in my throat along with ACID REFLUX ws the cause of the pain. I have been on Aciphex for about 10 days and the pain has subsided :-P !

you are not alone. i had a mucocele(mucous cyst) removed last year by my ENT it was by my uvula. It never came back but four months ago, i started getting a mild annoyance type ach close to the location, only farther back behind the uvula. It comes and goes several times throughout the day. It's not unbarable but it can be distracting.

I went back to the ENT, he looked down my throat and stuck a scope up my nostril and looked at the top of my soft pallet. He could not see anything, the only thing noticable was the scar from the surgery and he said that looks normal. but it could be nerve damage from the removal.

I have the feeling that something is caught in my throat from time to time, he said it sounds like acid reflux, even though I don't get heart burn. Taking Prescription an acid and it helps.

He said if it was cancer it would be a constant pain and would get worse and He'd be able to see something. He said unless it changes it's nothing to worry about

I am also suffering from same symtoms - like nerve has snapped and the throat is stuck with something!! It feels dry along jaw and neck and can feel/hear it crackling inside when I turn my neck. 2 CT scans and 3 ENTS and 4 levels of dentists didnt find any problem. Its been a year now without resolve... anyone has

I also have had this minor(major) issue, my friends. There was a cyst found in the back of my throat from a VCT scan. as far as i can tell , this little friend of my has been here for almost nine months. it started my simply not brushing my teeth regularly. after a chipped molar these symptoms which you all described came and stayed. so far the only thing that has worked is a higher PH level. and vigorous hygiene exercises. plenty of b-vitamins and immune boosters on a permanent basis. i also am 23 male Caucasian, and living in the U.S. . the doctors cant do much because the risk is too great. anti-biotics do work but you have to get the right ones. Cindamycin was the only one effective so far. please, if any of you are cured.. let me know. this affects our quality of life and thus our ability to enjoy it fully and wholesomely ... E-mail me at and let me know what all of your status are. my treatment has gone well so far and I hope to actually recover completely. I am very serious about this. so reply as soon as you have more info ok? my first name is jonathan... and i look forward to hearing from you.

I have had a similar problem for the past 6 months.. It began as a swelling on the ride side of my throat and I went to the doctor and was advised to have a ultra sound. The ultra sound didnt show anything serious but samples were taken of the lymphoid gland and a black fluid was drained from the neck. I had a scheduled appointment with the ENT clinic but missed my appointment but the Doctor advised me from the Pathology reports that it was a Mucous Cyst and was gone. 5 months on my throat has just swelled up again and I am having to repeat the process all over and get my throat drained again...

I have been feeling tired / lafargic for about a year and have sound it twice as hard to continue my gym regimes and am getting quite depressed about the whole situation!!

I have allergic rhinitis and asthma. I also have GERD or acid reflux. I recently stopped taking my meds for GERD thinking it was already under control. After a week, I have this annoying "barking cough" and days later I lost my voice. There is little phlegm, mostly gel-like in consistency. I had difficulty breathing especially at night. The inside of my throat is so sore I had difficulty swallowing food and drinks. I consulted a pulmonologist doctor and he gave me meds for my allergies. However, I still had the barking cough and all the other sysmptoms after 2 weeks. The doctor gave me antibiotics even an antifungal. Still I did not find any relief. I had a laryngoscopy two days ago and the ENT said there was no infection or cysts. The main cause of the irritation is my acid reflux. I seldom get heartburns but I always feel the bolus coming up my throat and I burp a lot. Now I am taking my omeprazole (Proton pump inhibitor) religiously plus ranitidine (H2 blocker). I also try to avoid dairy products since milk would only make the phlegm harder, citrus and other acidic food and fatty food. cold water gives my throat temporary relief. hot drinks like tea only worsen the sore throat.

note: stomach acid + phlegm = gas thus the bloating sensation

there is also this study that most people with asthma and allergic rhinitis also have gartrointestinal problems like GERD. the study did not say why. it was mostly statistics. perhaps this is due to the fact that the respiratory and digestive systems are connected.

? ? ? ? ?