I would like to know something more on grapefruit diet. Why is grapefruit so effective?

This diet promises 52 pounds loss in 2 and a half months! I am not sure if it works! This is a big promise. Considering the effects of grapefruit- grapefruit or fruit juice is important because it acts as a catalyst that starts the burning process. There is some more rules, connected to grapefruit diet, such as drink 8 glasses of water every day; eat any meal until you are full, don’t eat between meals, cut down on coffee … Here is a list of food that you can eat: red onions. bell peppers, radishes, broccoli, cereal corn, starchy vegetables, leaf spinach, pasta, peanut butter, corn chips, jelly or jam sweet pickles, pretzels, fruit, low-fat or diet salad dressings.
And here is a list of thing that you must not consume in order to follow grapefruit diet: white onions, potatoes, celery, peas, cucumbers, carrots, green onions, potato chips, cabbage, tomatoes, green, beans, lettuce, mayonnaise, any cheese, hot dogs, cole … I don’t know this sounds strange to me, almost unbelievable. It doesn’t sound logical to me. If you find this the other way …