Hello! My sister is coming to a visit tomorrow. Since it is my birthday we will spend some time together and I am already looking forward it. She has four children and they are extremely active. Since me and my husband don’t have any children I can’t say I am too experienced with children and I am especially frighten of possible injuries. Since I know burns are the most common injuries in children I would like to know how to treat burn at home.

Hello! Well, you are right; burns are some of the most common injuries in childhood. Children usually get burns of hot liquid such as water, tea, milk or soup and most of the accidents happen in the kitchen. The most important thing is to put the affected part of the body (it is usually hand or leg) under the running cold water. After that you can put sterile gauze or a bandage and sometimes an antibiotic cream can be used few times a day. Of course if a burn is severe emergency medical care should be called as soon as possible.

Burns can be minor medical problems or life-threatening emergencies. Some of the most severe burns are caused by electricity or chemicals. Scalding liquids are the most common cause of burns in children.

Sunburns and small scalds can usually be treated at home, but deep or widespread burns need immediate medical attention. People with severe burns often require treatment at specialized burn units. Skin grafts may be necessary to cover large wounds.

For most burns, the very first thing to do is to flood the injury with cool tap water. Ice is not recommended because it can cause additional damage to the burned tissue.

The best homemade remedy for burns is tumeric, apply tumeric paste on burn area to heal it naturally.