Few days ago I fell and hurt my head. I thought it was nothing serious but then a haematoma developed on my head. I would like to know more about haematomas in general. Thanks

Because you have injured your head, you need to go to your doctor even if you think that you are ok and that it is nothing serious. Hematoma is a localized collection of blood in a tissue or organ. This blood is usually clotted. Hematomas can occur almost anywhere on the body and in minor injuries; the blood is absorbed unless infection develops. Contusions and black eyes are familiar forms of hematoma which are almost always present with a fracture. Hematomas are especially serious when they occur inside the skull. In these cases they can place local pressure on the brain. Treatment for contusions (bruises) consists of applying ice or cold packs a few times a day. This helps to produce vasoconstriction, a reduction in arterial blood flow, which helps to decrease bleeding and swelling. The quicker you apply ice after the injury, the less bleeding will result.