Hi, recently I saw a film that left me breathless. It was about family violence conducted by the father. This film made me think. How can anyone act like that against his own family? Also there are some questions that I would like to know the answers to. What are the effects of abuse in the family on children and how do they react to them?

Hi, family abuse is, unfortunately, a common thing. It does not have to involve violence. Words, used to degrade a member of a family can act in the same way. Family violence affects children even if it is not directed on them. The emotional effects of such violence are almost the same to the psychological trauma seen in children that were the object of abuse. It may also happen that children get hurt while trying to help the abused parent or by "accident" if objects are thrown around. There are also cases when infants get serious injuries that happen when the father rages out while the mother is holding the child in the arms. Children that come from families that have the history of violence are more likely to have alcohol or drug problems then the ones that come from non-violent families. They can also have learning, hearing and speech difficulties and stress related illnesses such as headaches, ulcers and rashes. Emotional effects of abuse in the family on the children are: fear of being abandoned, low confidence, constant anxiety and guilt of not being able to stop the abuse or loving the abuser.