Hi, I have recently become a mother. The baby really fulfilled our lives. We are simply feeling happy. Few days ago I caught the very end of a TV show that was about parent's abuse. I was very upset with this subject. Who are the parents that would do such terrible things to their children? I wanted to know more. Since I was unable to find anything on this subject, I was wondering if you could tell me something about parent's abuse.

Hi, child abuse is a serious problem that unfortunately happens more often that we would like to admit. This type of behavior is seen in people who were abused themselves when they were children. Abused children very frequently become abusive parents. Because their parents have treated them this way, they think that this is the right way to bring up children. It is not that they don't want to be good parents; the fact is that they have not learned how responsible parents should treat their children. Don't get me wrong, I am not making up excuses for the abusive parents, I was trying to explain the origin of this type of pathological behavior. Child abuse can be mental, physical or both. In every case children who had abusive parents grow up to be troubled adults. They have trouble in communicating with other people and it is hard for them to form emotional bonds. It is very hard to talk to abusive parents, because they will never admit that they are hurting their child. That is why hospitals and schools are obligated to report if they notice that a child has been abused. Social services can than decide about the future of the abused child. They can order to an abusive parent to seek psychological counseling. If the therapy does not help, social services can take the child away from the parents.