I did BUN (blood urea nitrogen) test. I have problem s with my kidneys few months ago so this was my regular check. The results showed that BUN has been elevated. I am very concern, although I had no other symptoms or discomforts.

In my case BUN level increased because the amount of protein in my diet. A high-protein diet cause elevated BUN. Although increased BUN levels suggest impaired kidney function, the BUN can also rise from dehydration, even if the kidney function is still good.

Hello there jayne,

If there are no other symptoms than I presume there is no need to be worried about this but since you obviously are maybe it would be wise to go and see your doctor again. Do some additional tests and see if you should be worried about some urinary tract infection or elevated blood urea nitrogen is just a consequence of high-protein diet.

If you are aware that lately you have been overreacting with proteins (common foods rich in protein are: milk, soy Milk, eggs, cheese, yogurt, peanut butter, lean meats, fish, and poultry, grains, bread and pasta) try to reduce foods rich in proteins and redo the test.

If the result is the same again than there is definitely reason to do urine analysis.