Hello everyone! I need some help. I have three senior cats at my apartment at the moment. If we forget the fact that my new sofa is completely ruined and that my newest leather jacket  has claw marks on it, I am doing perfectly fine. I am actually surprised how well I am doing. I lived with 4 dogs, but I never thought I could handle 3 cats. And they’re here for a whole week. It will be fun (may God have mercy on my soul).

Anyway, I need your help- I need you to tell me what are the optimal protein requirements  for older cats.

It is a little tricky to answer to your question as these cats will be only a short period of time with you. That means they are not yours and you don’t know much about their health condition?

I asked this because many senior cats have chronic kidney disease and you must alter their meal plan according to that. If any of them have it, you need to reduce her protein intake (and be sure that you give only high-quality proteins to that cat).

But, there is still the other side of coin. Some older cats can have problems with their bones, and their nutrition requires increased intake of protein which puts every cat owner in doubt, what to choose.

So, my advice is to stick with their current meal plan, but try to give them only high-quality proteins. 

Hello :) Well, definitely, older cats for years were recommended to be on lower protein diet program, because this is the way to avoid potential kidney damage. A lot of pet owners do know that they need to feed their older cats with less protein, because for older cats it is balanced diet program. I hope that you do know does your cat have some kidney disease, because that is the main thing that you need to know to give her certain diet program. Older pets metabolize protein less efficiently, so that is one more reason why they need low protein diet.

No way. I don’t agree with you. It is not so good thing to feed your cat with low protein diet program. I really don’t know what is the optimal protein intake for older cats, but I am totally sure that this is not low protein diet. You should see some other topics, and you will see why I am telling you this. The optimal protein intake should not be a low protein diet. I will ask my friend about this, and will inform you, I will tell you her experience. Older cats are weaker than young cats. Be careful, please.

Protein is a building rock. It is essential to all cats at all stages of their life. Well, optimal protein intake for cats is different in life stages. Since you have older cat, you should know that protein intake for adult cats should be about 25 to 30 percent of daily calorie intake. You should also know that not all proteins are equal. All cats require taurine, especially the older cats, and you can find taurine in mea or eggs, as an amino acid as well. Very quality protein source you can find in turkey, chicken, beef, eggs, etc.

Good luck.

As you may know, geriatric cats need more proteins than young and middle aged cats. The last researches have shown that older cats that are taking the same protein intakes as middle aged cats are in the risk of losing body mass and especially muscles. The research has also shown that high daily intakes of proteins are dramatically lowering that risk.

Since this research was published every vet is recommending putting your senior cat on a high protein diet. (Be careful if your cat has sensitive kidneys of course).

This research suggests feeding your senior cat with 6-9 grams per 1 kg of body mass daily.

Hello everyone.

I see that almost everyone here thinks that you should feed a senior cat with higher protein intakes than you did when she/he was younger. Well, I don’t agree with that. My vet told me that I should be very careful with foods that I am giving to my cat now when she is older. She mentioned that her digestive system is more vulnerable then it was before and her kidneys are more sensitive now. Because of this, I am not a fan of high protein diet when it comes to senior cats.

So I think you should try to feed your cat only with high quality food and to forget about protein intakes.

Hi guys.

One of my best friends has a senior cat and he is talking about him all the time so I think I’m ready to join the discussion about the protein intake in senior cats. :)

Well, John is feeding his cat according to the “high protein-low fat” diet which in his words is “the best thing for senior cats ever”. Apparently, you should avoid fats because older cats tend to get overweighed. At the other hand, proteins are really needed because they prevent muscle losing and constant fatigue which is extremely common in senior cats.

I think he is giving 30-40g of protein to his cat every day.

Hi.

From my experience you shouldn’t change your cat’s way of feeding at all. I mean, if you fed her with healthy raw food and healthy high quality canned foods earlier when she was middle aged then you don’t have to change that habit at all. Yes, it is true that senior cats need to eat just quality foods but if you were feeding her that way ever since she was a kitten then you just need to continue that way, and add some supplements.

I am just trying to increase the protein level a bit so the risk of losing body mass is prevented that way.

After going through whole thread I’m a bit confused. You said that these cats will stay with you for seven days only? For that short amount of time you cannot compromise their health neither you decide to starve them. J

Joke aside, you just need to feed cats homemade raw foods and canned food with quality proteins and that’s it. They will be happy and cheerful when they real owner comes to pick them up.

You can show him/her this thread and what you have learned from us. Bottom line is that older cats need high-quality food because of their potential liver/kidney/GI issues.