My son was diagnosed with enlarged lymphnodes in his abdomen. The doctor explained that it may go away on his own or that it may need more medical attention by a specialist. He said the enlarged lymph nodes could be caused by an viral infection or it could turn out to become a type of cancer. What is true and what could it be? i'm very upset and concerned and need some answers. Can anyone help me to find out what it means to have enlarged lymph nodes in the abdomen. Please help us

Had the same problem, but do you have any pain? the reason is that I had abdominal pain and many visits to the ER yieled nothing.

Until one day the pain was so unbearable and each wave of pain was followed by vomiting, this went on for hours. they finally did a CAT Scan, The damn Doctor came out with this sober expression saying that I had lesions on my pancreas & liver.

Needless to say he was wrong, but! and intern was checking my nodes on my neck and stuck his fingers down my left collar bone and his expression said it all.

Sorry for dragging on... It turned out I had Hodgkins Lymphoma and the node in my abdominal area was.

DON'T DEPEND ON JUST ONE DOCTOR, IF YOU ARE REALLY CONCERNED THEN TAKE CONTROL, SEE ANOTHER DOCTOR. WHILE HE MAY CARE ABOUT YOU; YOU ARE STILL ONE OF MANY PATIENTS TO THEM.

GOD BLESS & GOOD HEALTH!

The diagnosis you are referring to is mesenteric lymphadenitis - it is vary painful and specific to children and teens: it is a very common reason for unnecessary appendix removal. It generally resolves itself without treatment - just bed rest and pain relief - in about a week.

It is true that swollen lymph nodes can be associated with Hodgkins - that's why a good diagnosis is necessary - but especially in teenagers it is usually mesenteric lymphadenitis

My Son was having the same symptoms fopr 6 weeks! On and off! I fianlly put my foot down and called the doctors office and said enough is enough! He advised me to go to ER and we had a great work up (fianlly) he had a CT scan and was also diagnosed with mesenteric lymphaditis. he was gioven 10 days of Flaygl, 500 mgs. twice and day, and after 2 days he is finally starting to feel better!
His symptoms were weakness, abdominal pain, vomiting, low grade fevers. I was also told that in years past, this was diagnosed as appendicitis, and appendix's were removed!

This is exactly what we just went through with my daughter who will be 13 in a week... She has been seeing a GI doctor for issues unrelated to this. We went to the ER with the same sympoms.. Somach pain, vommitting, fever, could not walk, severe pain... They thought appendix but ct scan showed it wasnt... They told me stomach bug.. I was like WHAT???... 2 days later we were back at the ER and they did another CAT Scan and it showed lymph noded were enlarged... They put her on medicines but we are going to her GI Dr to see if we need further tests.... Good luck everyone in your journey with this ....

i have been to many doctors and the doctor that took my appendix and gallbladder out i was going to because i have contraction type excrutiating abdominal pains where i have to either run to bathroom and puke or have diarea and i cant eat or drink anything without it happening.. the doctor took the appendix and gallbladder out because he said that should cure it and it didnt and they put me on meds and i would never take them because they made me drowsy and i have three small kids to look after cant be falling asleep. so now they are all stumped and they basically said they wont give me a referral to iowa city or anywhere they said i have to live with it the rest of my life
please give me an opinion on what i should do ?

Get tested for food allergies!! BE Aggressive! Everyone will tell you lots of people think they have roof allergies but they don't. My doc's had to eat there words. I am allergic to most everything. Cant eat anything processed and food after 14 years is at least enjoyable again.

I do remember thedays when a bite of food sent me running to the bathroom in a resttaurant when I was with my family. I had to throw my pantries away but those days are over.

There are skin test but the RAST test will give you a largervariety of foods tested.

Good luck.

catottie wrote:

buffy_24 wrote:

Good luck.

My son started with signs and symptoms like abdominal pain on and off,low grade fever, nausea and bloating of abdomen since last 2 dyas....got him examined by pediatrician...he advided a ultrasound of abdomen as my son was complaining of right side pain and the Mc burney sign was some what positive when the doctor examined him....Got a sonography done today..the radiologist told me that there is mild appendicitis and some lymph nodes too .....waiting for the report to show to a surgeon for further opinoin...keping my fingers crossed......

My 12 year old son started having severe pains in his right side back in March.  We have gone to the ER 3 times, 2 CTs with dye, so much blood work, xray, sonogram and everything came back normal.  They did say that he had swollen lymph nodes in his abdomen on the right side and said it was probably a virues.  My son is still in pain to this day.  He has to to GI doctor and had a upper GI and colonoscopy done back in June and had his appendix removed in July. The doctor's thought it may be cronic appedicitis, but he is still hurting.  He would wake up in the middle of the night double over in pain and in tears, he is sound asleep and crenges in pain in his sleep.  We are in the process of still trying to find out what is going on with our son.  It began the week after he had the flu and 7 months later still in pain. We took him to UNC chapel hill and now we are now going to take him to Duke university to see if someone there can help us. IBS,Crohns etc has been ruled out. We refuse to give up trying to find out what is going on with our son.

Two years ago, my then 14 year old daughter experienced lower right side pain, along with low grade fevers, off and on.  Her primary care physician immediately said, "Depression!" and wrote it off (because she got emotional when discussing things with him?)!  When I insisted that this was not the case, he finally sent us to a GI specialist, who ran all the food allergy tests he could think of, as well as performed a colonoscopy/endoscopy, with all coming up normal.  The symptoms eventually subsided, but her emotional state was a wreck.  We thought she was getting back to normal, then just a month ago, her symptoms returned, but stronger, and they show no sign of going away.  This time (took a month for the dr to take action) she underwent a CT Scan, which showed the enlarged lymph nodes in her abdomen.  We are awaiting an appointment to discuss this with her doctor, but I'm seriously nervous about the possibility of his cavalier dismissal!  Is there any indication that this "mesenteric adenitis" will actually go away permanently, or will my daughter have to live with this?!?  What meds worked? I need to be prepared to instruct this dr on what to try!

All of this could be related to "Leaky Gut Syndrome", big undigested molecules of food transpass the linen goy causing many many things.... I'm in the same situation with my daughter.

Check in the web for Leaky gut syndrome (integrative medicine, Functional medicine, orthomolecular medicine)

my son is 20yrs old, he has had sharp pain in his abdomen for the past 4wks I took him to the ER yesterday & all the ER Dr. told us is that his Lymph Nodes are Enlarged, but he did not give him any Meds, this morning he woke up with the same pain, I'm sooo Frustrated, I don't know what to do to help my son get rid of this horrible pain...

Have there been Any updates?

how is he doing? could you update us.
My son is having abdomen pain for about two months. He was found stomach ulcer, but treated for about a month.
the pain is not changed much. CT scan may show enlarged lymph (orginal radiologist did not see it, other radiologist thinks the pair lymph have different size). Any suggestion will be appreciated.

Get tested for Celiac Disease