OK, here's the deal....tell me honestly what you think. I may not listen, but....;)

I am just starting to feel like I can do some non impact activity soon-maybe next week, consisting primarily of walking, ET, stationary bike and leg weights only. I may try some limited arm stuff with very small weights, but I want to see how the rest goes fatigue wise. I am definitely not allowed to run for at least four more weeks. So that's four weeks of as much non-running as I can do (no swimming for at least another two) and then I'd have four weeks of running to get ready for the RW Half, which is my favorite race in the whole world that I was robbed of running last year (after training my ass off for it all winter) because that's the weekend I got my bone scan and the doc threatened me with a plaster cast and pins in my leg if I ran. I couldn't have anyway, I tried to run the day I got the scan and got about half a mile and almost died from the pain. I was bawling when the gun went off and again as I watched all my friends cross the finish line and I REFUSE to do that again this year. I love that race. If I never did another race again but that one, that would be fine with me.

I SO want to run this race, obviously not to race it because I can't get myself into race shape in four weeks, but do you think I have a shot at finishing it at least, if I really work hard until I can run to build as much as I can?? The race is May 4, three weeks before Madison, and I am even willing to drop to the 10K in Madison in order to focus on this race. Running another half three weeks later would probably be a little much.

Advice from you seasoned experts? I had a decent base at one point so I am hoping that goes in my favor here.

I say ease back and see how you feel. Wait before making any big decisions. There is always next year.

Hardly a seasoned expert, but here's my advice...Sure, you can finish the half, but there may be a lot of walking involved. I can't comment on the coming off of surgery angle but fora regular person in decent shape, you could probably build up to completing the half in 4 weeks. Screw the taper though.

what was your long run and weekly mileage up to before your surgery? if you were running 18-20 (perferably 22-25) per week with a long run of 6-8, I'd say you could do it fairly easily if you could get your long run up to 9-10 before the half. otherwise, i'd bag it and shoot for madison...

Wouldn't you want to be safer to your body and give it some extra recovery and training time by running the half at Madison instead? That's what I would do. As said before, there is ALWAYS next year. Be smart, G.

Genie, OK, you might not like what I'm gonna say, but here goes... If it were me, I'd wait for Madison. 4 weeks just is not enough time to get your body prepared for what it is going to have to go through. Like most of these before me posted, there is always next year. And unlike last year, you know you have Madison to look forward to a few weeks later. Don't look at this as a failure on your part, look at it as the right thing to do, for your self, and for all the riff-raffers who are waiting to meet you at Madison (wish I was one of 'em). That being said, it can be done. Can you race a 1/2 marathon in 4 weeks training? no chance in hell Can you run 13.1 miles in 4 weeks training? yes, but it's gonna be slow. You are gonna have to walk (alot). You are going to have to have no illusions that you are going to be competitive at all. You are going to have to resist all possible temptation on race day, and set yourself a very slow, easy pace and stick to it. If you are as emotionally attached to the race as you sound, I think the temptation to throw caution to the wind and run a little faster might be too great. Also, with friends, etc.. running the race, maybe a bit too much pressure will be on to "perform". If this is the case, you shouldn't run. So, my advice is: don't run. However, if you absolutely have to, you must take it very easy, soul sister, and be prepared to take your time, relax and enjoy the scenery.

I agree with PH and Coach. It is possible but it will be slow with a lot of walking.

You just have some serious surgery. Don't make me stop by on my way home from work and give you one of these: :duh:

Have you considered the 5K?

Thanks guys.....I figured the consensus was probably going to be don't do it.....but I had to ask.

Bob, you of anyone know how slow I run, I had to laugh at coach saying I wouldn't be the least bit competitive. I wouldn't be competitive on my best day. Sometimes I want to :duh: some of you who complain about their 8-minute pace being slow. ;) I am, when in way better shape, probably a 10 minute miler at best, so anything other than a finishing time just wouldn't enter into it. However, I have never been one to say, well, I can't run six minute miles so why bother racing? I run races for me (and for the t shirts ), not for glory. With a lot of work, I know I can get decently faster, but not for this race. And that's OK.

Maybe I'm just being a sentimental weinerhead, but this race was my first half EVAH, I really got my head handed to me because I was ill prepared for the distance. It was also a milestone in my CFIDS recovery, that I actually went from so sick I couldn't walk down a flight of stairs five years before that to finishing (I can't say running cuz I did walk a lot) a half marathon. To me that meant more than anything and I think I'll always hold this race above all others for that reason alone. That's why it means so much to run it every year. I'll run that race til I'm old and can't run anymore.

As far as my base before surgery, I was around 15-20 with about a 6-7 long run, when I ran consistently, so that's why I had half an idea that I could push it up a little. And as for Madison, to be perfectly honest, I would rather run the 10K by myself than subject myself to my own mental pressure of being the last to come straggling across the finish line at the half. It would make for a miserable race because I would feel, as I have in the past, like a total loser being the slowest in the group and I'd never be able to enjoy the race worrying about how lame-ass I was gonna look coming in so long after the rest of you.

Thanks for your input....I'm still thinking at this point, but I do appreciate your honesty.

Genie,

What Coach said..... :thumbsup:

and did you check with your surgeon at all on the issue of 13 miles?

i would love to do this race too, i've read lots about it. sounds like a winner. howEVER.... madison?

Smart move G. Your body will thank you for it.

It is a great race, and it gets better every year! The RW staff really puts a lot of effort into pulling together a quality event. You should come out some year and do it with us!! I have to see the doc on Thursday this week so I'll ask him, but all he has said so far is that I have to listen to my body and work at my own comfort level. To start back running, he said six weeks from surgery, which puts me at about April 7. If I do decide to do it, there will be no taper. I ride the fence about needing to really taper for a half anyway. Plus, then I have three solid weeks to recoup, if needed, and get ready for the 10K in Madison. Unless I feel absolutely great after RW I am leaning hard towards the 10K. I want to enjoy that weekend, not stress over it.

Just coming off of marathon mentality, maybe I'm not in the right frame of mind to comment on this but I say go for it. 13.1 miles is certainly difficult but at a 10min pace, we're still talking about a little over a 2-hour run. Getting your endurance up to that threshold isn't unthinkable. Personally, five years ago, I went from ground zero, absolute slothness, to a 25km in ten weeks.

I'm also a sentimental race sap like you. My fav is a nearby 8km and no matter what condition I'm in each year, banged or buffed, come race day, I gotta run it.

There is also nothing but ego to bruise if you do chart your course and come raceday you know it's not meant to be and you have to dns or dnf. It can be a tough pill to swallow, but an option to consider.

In the end, you are the best at guaging your own fitness and how your training is going. I say put it on your calendar and as the days and weeks roll by here the next few months, make the decision along the way.

I'm no seasoned expert, but, Genie, there's always next year. Even better, do you have friends racing the half? I think going to the race, cheering friends on, and having a good time could be almost as fun as running the race. Give it some consideration. I know you said you wouldn't race the race, but once you get out there and your adrenaline rushes through you...it will be difficult to resist doing too much. :nono:
Shelly

Oh, if I start, I'll finish, I don't care if I have to crawl.......but you're right. I am still really tired and am going to have four weeks to see what I can do before I get to start running so I think I'll wait as long as I can, I know the race will close in the next couple weeks, so I have to decide soon.....and seriously, at my pace, I don't consider that racing, it's just a long run really. After I get a couple long walks in I will see how I feel then.

I don't think one person in this group would consider you (outloud or to themselves) a lame-ass. And, I think everyone would be there cheering your non-lame-ass ass on! Maybe volunteer for the RW half so that you're still a part of it, and then do that next-year thing.