I'm 18 and i just recently ended my period a few days ago...following my period i have been experiencing a lot of vaginal discharge for almost a week now. It stays a yellowish/ little bit of white color, and its not chunky nor smelly, but at times it might itch. Its can be embarrassing cause a can get alot of it throughout the day causing me to wear a panty liner everyday. I know its not an STD, because i havent had sex and i consider myself to be very sanitized and thorough in my cleaning. This is the first time that this has happen; I'm too embarrassed to talk to anyone... Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to stop it?

Please Help

Your problem may be your “i consider myself to be very sanitized and thorough in my cleaning.”. The reason I am saying this is that vaginal area should be cleaned by plain water and nothing else actually. Vagina cleans itself. There is a whole variety of bacteria and fungus that naturally live in our vaginas. The bacteria are called friendly because they maintain this environment.

When we wash vagina on the insides excessively, use a lot of shampoos, deodorants and things like that, we may actually contribute to irritation, interfere with vaginal flora and cause yeast/fungus overgrowth. This is called yeast infection and may cause all sorts of troubles like excessive vaginal discharge, bad odor, itchiness, redness, even flakiness, etc
Other reasons that may cause yeast overgrowth in the vagina is prolonged antibacterial treatment. Antibiotics kill the friendly bacteria as well as the bad bacteria and may cause yeast over growth.

In order to make sure this is yeast, you need to have yourself checked at the gynecologist office and get a proper treatment. It is not an STD but it needs to be treated as it can progress to bacterial vaginosis.

No, when i say thorough in my cleaning, i mean using only plain water and soap, i never use any shampoos/deodorants because i understand that they can cause harm. So do you think that my problem may still be a yeast infection?

Yes, I think it could be because excessive vaginal discharge and itching are typical signs of yeast, however, more than often there is also a bad fishy odor.

How long does your menstrual period last? If it is shorter that 24 days, it may happen that you are ovulating slightly after your period and during ovulation, women experience the most discharge. During ovulation, our body produces about 30x more mucus than after ovulation. This kind of vaginal discharge is more watery, elastic and stretchy.

White and thick discharge is common for the begging and end of the
menstrual cycles. However, it should not be followed by itching. If it is, it indicates yeast.

But, itching may come from your panties because of the material or washing detergents, especially if the itching is occasional.

Honestly, it is impossible to say just listening to the symptoms, only assumptions like these could be made. You need to be evaluated and there is nothing wrong or embarrassing in seeing a gynecologist. It is something every young, smart, health-aware person should be doing regularly.

hi, im 15 and ive had this vaginal leakage problem for more than 2 months and it is very annoying. i also get this white thick stuff on my underwear and it smells. i do not use tampons unless im at the beach. i would be at school and standing talkin to my friends and i get a leakage and i have to deal with my underwear being wet all day until i get home. i have not been to the docter but i am goin to tell my mom soon so i can see what it is, but if you know what it is i would like to know. thank you.

Sounds like you have an infection. You don't have to have sex to get a vaginal infection. You need to see a doctor ASAP because you
don't want the infection to spread to your fallopian tubes. That can cause sterility.