Every since the last week, I have been experiencing pain in my eyes. They feel sore and it is starting to get on my nerves. I did not go to my doctor because I am afraid that he will tell me that I will go blind. Is this possible?

Most of us have had sore eyes and this is distressing. However, fortunately is usually not serious. The most common cause is conjunctivitis. This is an inflammation of the clear covering of the white of the eyes. This may be due to infection, either with bacteria or viruses. Also, it may be due to an allergy as it occurs in hay fever. Bacterial infections usually cause a discharge of very sticky pus and often the eyelids are hard to open in the morning and they seem ‘glued’ together. Viral infections may be more painful, with very red eyes and less discharge and they spread easily. They can be passed on by contact and sharing towels, face flannels etc. Allergic problems cause redness and watering of the eyes. Treatment usually consists of frequently inserted eye-drops with regular bathing with warm, salty water to get rid of the pus, if there is discharge. Sometimes more serious conditions can be mistaken for conjunctivitis and this is why you need to go to your doctor to know exactly what is happening with you.