Hi, I'm 45 years old and I have noticed strange twitching of my nerves followed by muscle twitch of the right side of my face. It starts around my eyelid, and then it spreads to the rest of the face. It is kind of strange to see half of my face having these strange crams and movements that I can't control. The twitching has increased in the past month or so, it happens almost every day, usually in the afternoon and lasts for about 2 or 3 hours. Can anyone please tell me what is this all about and how can it be, and can it be treated at all?

It seems to me that you have a condition called hemifacial spasm. It is caused by twitching of your facial nerve and its branches that control the movements of the lower part of the face. Hemifacial spasm is a condition that happens when the facial nerve is irritated by any means. Sometimes some inflammation process, tumor or a dilated blood vessel can put pressure on the facial nerve and cause it to start sending nerve impulses randomly causing the facial twitching. The most common cause is the pressure on the facial nerve on the place where it exits the scull, in the area behind the ear, or in the scull itself as a cause of the ear infection. Ear cavity and the facial nerve channel are in close relation to each other in the temporal bone, so the infection of the ear can have an effect to the facial nerve, causing twitching. If the cause is the facial nerve and the inflammation of the ear then you should visit your doctor promptly to receive proper treatment. The therapy can vary, from simple tranquilizers like benzodiazepam to the surgery aimed at removing whatever caused the irritation of the nerve. In any case, if tranquilizers don’t help you should seek help from your doctor.