I am 19 and I have noticed some skin changes. I talked to my mother and she told me that I probably have furuncle. Can someone tell me how does this happen? Should I go to doctor?

A furuncle is an infection of a hair follicle and it is a skin infection involving an entire hair follicle and the adjacent subcutaneous tissue. Furuncles are very common and they are caused by staphylococcus bacteria but can be caused by other bacteria or fungi. These bacteria are normally found on the skin surface. Damage to the hair follicle allows these bacteria to enter deeper into the tissues of the follicle. They can occur in the hair follicles anywhere on the body. However, they are most common on the face, neck, armpit, buttocks and thighs. Furuncles can begin as a tender, red, subcutaneous nodule but ultimately become fluctuant. A furuncle can drain spontaneously, producing pus but more often the patient opens the furuncle. They can be single or multiple and some people have recurrent bouts with abscesses. If they occur in areas like the ear canal or nose, furuncles can be very painful. Furuncles of the nose should be treated by a health care provider. I advise you to go to your doctor.