Hello, a few weeks ago, i shaved my shave my genital area. I have done this before although not for awhile. I used my husband's beard trimmer which i have had good results with before. a few days later, I began to itch. this happened before so i didnt worry about it. I've been puttting cream on it to stop the itch, which i never had to do before. It is still itching and it wakes me up a couple times in the night. I also have to put cream on it several times a day. How long can i expect this to last and are there any other remedies i can do. I am thinking it has lasted so long because in the beginning i scratched alot and made it worse so now i am not scratching at all (well mostly sometimes I give in)

To be honest, sharing trimmers and razors is not such a good idea.
You have probably developed folliculitis, which is a superficial infection of the hair follicle. The infection is usually caused bacteria but it could be fungal infection as well. There are two types of bacteria that can cause it. The common folliculitis is caused by the common organism Staphylococcus aureus but if you have been to public saunas, swimming pools or someone else’s bath, it could be Pseudomonas aeruginosa that seems to be more resistant.

Most of the folliculitis cases clear up on their own. You may get an otc antibiotic ointment or topical cream (I don’t know what you have been using). If this doesn’t help and the itching persists, you may check it out with a dermatologist and see if the infection might be fungal.

Do not scratch as it is said it may be spread to other parts of the body. In that case, you would have to take oral antibiotics as well.

Personally, I have never had this lasted for very long as it usually clears on its own.