I have a 10 years old son, and normally, I talk to his friends’ mothers. One of them told me we should take care of impetigo. She said it is a skin infection, which is possible to occur in their ages. I wonder if that is true, and can you tell me more about impetigo, what does it means. Is that possible to spread from one child to another, or it is not contagious?

Impetigo is skin infection that can be caused by one of two bacteria group, either A streptococcus or staphylococcus aureus. That is true that impetigo usually affects preschool and school age children, especially in the summer months. In special group are children whose skin has already been irritated or injured by other skin problems, such as eczema, poison ivy, insect bites or skin allergy to soap or makeup. They are more likely to develop impetigo then others. Impetigo may affect skin anywhere on the body, although it commonly occurs in the area around the nose and mouth. Impetigo is characterized by ooze fluid, blisters that may burst, and developing of a honey-colored crust. This kind of disease may itch, and it can be spread by scratching. The infection usually spreads along the edges of an affected area and it can spread to other areas of the body. Impetigo is contagious, and children can spread impetigo from one area of the body to another. This happens when they touch themselves with fingers that have been in contact with scratched, infected skin. When someone has impetigo, the infection can spread to other household members too, it can also be spread among playmates or classmates who are exposed to infected skin.