I know it's common for women to suffer from ingrown hairs. I know that is usually happens under the arms, on the legs and around the bikini area. The hair follicle becomes injured, I guess that is the reason. I would like to hear if there is any dermatologist, who could offers advice on how to prevent and treat ingrowns. I really want to stop this but I don’t know how to do that, because I don’t understand why this happens to me.

Hair has two separate structures, which are the follicle, a pouchlike depression in the skin, and the shaft, the visible part of hair. The root of the hair extends down into the follicle and widens into a bulb at its base. That is the center of hair growth. Hair is lubricated by sebaceous, or oil glands, located in the skin, usually next to hair follicles. Repeated nicking or pulling of the skin through shaving or waxing can damage the opening of the follicle. That causes there's no clear hole from which the hair shaft can grow. The hair follicle becomes obstructed, so excess oil produced by the sebaceous glands can form a plug in the stockinglike follicle. Then it is forcing the hair either back down into, or out a side of, the follicle. To prevent skin trauma, which can lead to ingrown hairs, take your time when shaving. Also keep your body stable, as if you're performing an operation. It's important also to clean the area with soap and water after you've shaved, since bacteria can cause these ingrowns.