Yo, i noticed a while a go i felt like i had some sort of quite hard lump stuck in my throat, and when i swallowed it would slowly move down, but too big to actually swallow, and it has sort of preserved itself in the front of my throat, and if i tence my throat in a certain way it starts to dislodge it, really horrible feeling, just wondering what your suggestions are, i smoke but have only smoked for a year or so and i'm only 16, so i doubt its anything serious, just would like to put my mind at ease.

One of the possible reasons of throat lumps is that your vocal fold could be hurt. This is how you can check if that is your cause. Relax your larynx by brushing your teeth for about five minutes. During this time try to relax as you do it. Brushing should be followed by flossing, also slow and relaxed concentrating on relaxing your shoulders as well. If your lump disappears or the tension you have in the throat, then it is probably a vocal fold.
Don’t brush your teeth excessively for 5 minutes as you could change the ph values in your mouth. Speak softly and don’t yell, don’t lift heavy objects.
If this is the case, you should walk for at least an hour a day to restore the blood flow to the fold. Healing could take a while because a very little blood gets into the vocal fold. You should stop smoking (at least until it heals) and don’t sleep in air conditioned dry air.
Another possible cause is stress. Are you stressful because of school or other things that may be happening in your life?

thanks mate, i'll give it a go, how long do these things usually last for, because it has been there for a fair few months now, it doesn't really effect me badly, its only when i try and dislodge it into my throat that i can really feel it there. Can u think off any other possibilities of what it could be.

I think that you should not be that scared. I believe that this lump in throat happened to you because you are dealing with too many stressful situations in your life. 

In that case, if your lump in the throat is a result of stress, it can lead to anxiety.  I will tell you more about the treatment because I had this situation as well and I think that I do know a little bit about it. Well, when it comes to treatment for anxiety-induced lump feeling in the throat is as simple as going for a walk or a run. It helps. You know what another trick can help you? Drinking water!

Try it and I am sure that you will feel good after a while. 

GL

I also had a lump in my throat a few months ago, it was present for a month or so. I would usually feel it later at night when I got really tired from work. I had no other problems but sometimes it would make me have troubles breathing, and it would be so annoying just standing there in my throat.

I went to see a GP, she said nothing was wrong, she sent me to an ENT, she looked at me and said there was nothing in my throat (but she did say that my tonsils were dead), and that a lump in a throat can be a sign of stress. I went back to the GP, she looked at my thyroid, nothing there, and that was it.

After a months or so, it went on its own just like that.

to the original poster, i have no idea.

the guy above me, that sounds a lot like throat cancer.

awhile back I was taking "something" (made by Shire Pharma.. of NJ) that caused servere dehydration if ya didnt drink a lotta water and eat something every now and again (among other health issues). This of course wasn't the only thing that happened, about 3 or 4 months into it (and i mean into it in the biblical sense) I was so tied up in my work that I just didnt eat or drink anything for like 5, maybe 6 hours, causing my throat to dry out. that plus me smoking 2 packs of newport 100's a day and uppin my dosage every few hours caused what i imagined to be a thick lining of phlegm completely covering the back of my throat similar to a piece of silly putty but more bio-like so to speak. after seeing this in the mirror, i immediatley said "screw this", grabbed my tweezers and went in to my mouth, got a hold of an edge, pulled and the whole thing came out at once. heaven help u if u gotta weak stomach but hey, the c**p never came back and i havent yet to have another incident like that one. emails at the top if u gotta question.

I have what it feels to be a knot in my right side of my throat, it really bugs me. When I get tired it really is irritating. I usually dont feel it as bad during the morning as at night. I feel like I need to cough something up or swallow it. It drives me crazy!!!! Sometimes I feel as though I cant breath very well. I do go to the Dr on Wednesday. It does not hurt, I am not running a fever, at night if I stay up to late my throat sound is raspy.

Hey guys, just letting you know that that hard lumpish piece of silly putty , if it was yellow and ran through with bloody looking lines, was probably an abscess. They can be extremely difficult to dislodge at times >.<

I have the feeling like there is a lump in my throat, it's really scaring me. i haven't had trouble breathing, only when my heart rates up because of my panic attack, then breathing fellings. i pray it's not cancer, it's been with me for abour 90 minutes and it won't go away. please help!

I was on the bus today and felt like I had this lumpy, scabby,big chink of snot in my throat it was gross!I've had these ongoing for while now sometimes I'll cough them up three times a week.
anyways I kind of do this snort thing(which doesn't sound great coming from me)lol! But it dislodged and made me gag and I coughed and it fleew out onto the wall of the bus!(I think the woman across from me saw it) gross it looked like a big ole mucousy chunky booger!
sometimes my throat is a bit sore afterwards but I never worry about it.
(Oh yeah I did however take tissue out of my purse and clean it off,lol)!

I am a healthy 36 years.... three weeks ago I pulled some muscles in my back and became very sore. My symptoms became aggravating with pain radiating down my arm. My doctor prescribed one of the newer medications on the market to conrol my pain. This medication is used primarily for patients with epileptic siezures (which I do not have) and it is also used to treat pain caused by nerve damage in people with diabetes -which I do not have. My symptoms were mixed, and I began feeling this LUMP IN THROAT sensation hours after I had taken the pill.. It felt as though I had a big object stuck in my throat... I would swallow and the pain would go down slowly and begin to start over. The sensation was also a feeling that one would get if one were holding back a a "good" cry. I ended up in the emergency room with a tightness in the chest feeling. It wasn't until two days later (when I stopped taking this medication) that the symptoms began to subside.
The lump in my throat has subsided and is believed to be caused by a reaction from the medication.

I also occasionally cough up a yellowish-greenish substance from my throat. I've drastically cut down on my smoking recently, and I am 40 years old. (Pack a day smoker for the last 20 years). The substance is quite hard, and has a rancid/fecal smell to it. It can cause a tickle in my throat for days, and I usually cough it out after brushing my teeth. It may range in size anywhere from a BB to the size of a pea. My doc says it is nothing to worry about, but I have my doubts. What is it? What causes it? ? It has become more common recently, and the chunks larger in size. Anything that smells this bad, and sits in my throat for such a long time can't be good for my throat. Is it coming out, because I've practically quit smoking?
Any answers would be appreciated.

That does NOT sound like throat cancer...infact, Doctors say that when Cancer is found in the throat it is visable on the outside as well, because a cancerous lump would have to grow rather large for a person to notice it because the inside of the throat isnt actually a very sensitive area...hence we dont feel every potato chip scraping down our esophogas every time we swallow....and

that was a horrible thing to say......Karma kinda sucks dont ya know?

hey im 18 and iv been smoking for about a year now, quit smoking cigeretts, but went back to the tipped cigars. and now i have a wired lump thing on the left side, right behind my tonge in my throat. someone please help me and let me know of what to look up or tell me what it is..im kind of worried.