My 10-year-old kid has serious health problems. He was infected with streptococcal infection. It seems that he got it in Africa, where we were on vacation last month. If I knew that this would happen, we would never go there. His treatment included medications that, at least it looked like that, solved the problem. But, I am afraid of rheumatic fever. Someone told me that it might occur. What do you think?

I think that you must speak to his doctors. They are the most qualified for these kind of questions. Rheumatic fever can develop after a group A streptococcal infection. Rheumatic fever is a disease that damages heart valves and it usually attacks age from 6 to 15. It is treated with penicillin or erythromycin. Even though your son is in the right age group for rheumatic fever, I will inform you that this condition is very rare these days.

I think it has nothing to do with africa, seems it happens upon bodies reaction only on sumppl , u could check this link >> so it wont spread like other deceases >>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXoQwORUQEE

Im 26 now, i hd RF at age 12, at the time I had the fever and joint pain and often swell but did not have my MV valve thik. I took penicillin injection till 22 every month and stopped coz I had no pain nothing. However, at 25 i did a full body check up because i just wanted to and then they found that my MV has a mild thickness with a MR mild jet.. so now Im taking penicillin pills every day :( I think u should be cautious abt ur child, and check him up often to avid that damaging his heart.