Hi, I have a big problem, I can’t get of Suboxone. Has this happened to anybody else? Is there any way to overcome this problem?

Hi, it is a serious stuff when you are becoming addictive. I have managed to get off Suboxone.
I have little leg discomfort to remind me of the time when I have been using it. Sometimes, I am irritable and this is mostly a night. The past two nights I haven’t been sleeping too much, but I hope this will improve. After the 3 weeks of having withdrawal symptoms, I have been given a medicine Neurontin. I wish I had known about it earlier. After tapering for two months I managed to stop taking this therapy. Now, I am free of drugs again.

I was a heroin addict for several years and kicked cold turkey. After being clean for several years I hurt my back, went to "pain management" and had a doctor giving me handfuls of various opiates on a daily basis. After 2 weeks of full withdrawal, like cold sweats, nausea, runs, muscle spasms, no sleeping, etc a doctor told me to take the pain pills until I could get onto suboxone because I did not want to go on methadone. Now after 2 years on suboxone its time to really be clean, ya know? So over the last several months I have dropped my dosage done from 32 mg a day to 4 mg a day. Today is day one of 2 mg. I will proabably stay on this for a month or two even though I want to get off the stuff because the more you kick the harder it gets and I would rather take my time and not suffer more than I have to. A note to those who are suffering- like a suboxone. It gives you a little edge off but you can still continue detoxing down. Another point- don't bother taking benzodiazapines (valium, clonopin, xanax, ativan, etc) if you are truly an addict. (And who isn't that takes suboxone?) You think opiate withdrawals are bad, benzos withdrawals can be worse and can be fatal. Good luck to others out there struggling with addiction. Suboxone isn't a miracle drug, but because it prevents (for the most part) abuse of other opiates it can be useful distancing yourself from your addiction with a higher likelihood of success than methadone.

i was on suboxone for 21 months. even though i tapered from 16 to 2mgs, getting completely off was not fun. the worst of the physical wthdrawel eased up after about three weeks...or 504 hours to be more accurate. sleep was not an available escape at this time...at least not for me! expect extreme weakness, intensified by the need for so much bed-rest for at least the first leg of this deal. some anxiety and insomnia hung on for me and others i talked with for several weeks after the worst physical part is over. the good news is that there are things one can do that help. i had to force myself to get fresh air and excercise when possible, did yoga, meditated and took hot baths whirlpools and saunas.....although not cheap, massage was always the best hour for me....and the only temporary escape that really worked. there is also an ayurvedic treatment known as shiro-dhara that helps a good deal if you can find a practitioner.
it has now been four months since my last dose and i am almost back to relatively good health.

I was on suboxone for 12 months and did my own tapering from 32mg to 2 mg and then I broke my tablets in four bits and took them as 1 mg tablets. I am slowly starting to feel normal but i have to always be doing something, becauce otherwise I go nuts. I was an Herion for 12 months befor I started suboxone and getting off the herion was much worse I lost a bussiness out of it and nearly my too kids and now I am affraid that it will happen again can you please give me some points on how to get through this. 8-|

Just don't get back to it! Try never to forget the hell you had to go through before you decided to stop and during the withdrawals. Speaking from a personal experience- 10 years of heroine abuse. I didn't want to get hooked up on methadone or suboxene, so i rapid-detoxed myself, so to speak. I bought 460mg of liquid methadone and starting with 60, i lowered my dose almost each day for the next 10 days. When i had 50mg left i stopped it completely. I saved the 50mg in case i felt superbad, which actually didn't happen. I had 10 days of insomnia and RLS, some mild diarrhea but that was it. On day 11 i slept for the first time for 8 hours and it's been 2 years since. i still have those 50mg of methadone left:))
I also lost almost everything i had or loved before i decided to stop. People are right- you have to get to the bottom before you start going slowly up.

I have been on subs for 9 months now. Started at about 6mgs a day and lowered my dose 1mg a month with minimal discomfort. I am now at a dose of about .66mg a day. I take my 2mg pill and cut it in half, I then take a half and cut it in 3 peices. I take a peice, which is about .33mg each, 2 times a day. I have been on this dose for 2 months now and cannot seem to get any lower. I tried today not to take a peice at all but by the 24th hour the w/d was too immense. After reading all these posts about the w/d's intensifying by days 2 to 5 I gave in and took a peice of sub. This is the hardest thing Ive ever had to do. I was addicted years ago to hydro and did the methadone to get off at that time. I took meth for 6 mos. Starting at 35mgs. That was easy for the most part. I really dont understand why everyone says its so much harder. I'm considering switching to methadone now to get off the subs. Any advice? Any hope? Help........

I've been on suboxone for, I guess, about a year. I take a very low dose, 2mg either once or twice a day (sometimes every other day). I had an addiction to oxys and due to the nature of my job which is EXTREMELY physical, I feel completely dependent on suboxone now for pain relief.
I've tried to take myself off suboxone. Day 1 is a breeze. Day 2 is not so bad, but by night time, my legs are killing me (keeping me up at night). Day 3 is when the misery sets in and now no more suboxone is lingering around.
Stella106, you mentioned RLS. Are you diagnosed with RLS or is this a common symptom of withdraw? My legs hurt so bad at day 3 I've tried taking over the counter pain relievers and putting compression socks on (and I've tied rubber bands around my legs) and I still CANNOT sleep. It's awful.
I actually have a prescription for Requip (for RLS). But I'm not 100% sure I ACTUALLY have RLS. It gives me mild nausea so I don't take it. I'm wondering if I took my RLS prescription at Day 3, if that will help.... the very mild nausea is more bearable than no sleep due to severe RLS from stopping suboxone.

Hey there, im 24 years old and have been on suboxone for about 2 years and am trying to get off. I became addicted to oxycontin when i was around 20 and was addicted to it for about 2 years with an x boyfriend. He's about 5 years older than me and already was pretty established in life so during our 2 horrible years of addiction he pretty much lost everything. I also spent everything that i had. He sold coke to support our habit which towards the end we were both addicted to also. I wasn't eating, sleeping, i wouldn't see my parents because i didnt want them to see me like i was. Finally we broke up and i moved home and got on suboxone (with mom and dads help) Its been a long road, and i definatly have NOT stayed clean. Its terrible, i will actually plan out when to take my suboxone so in case i want to get "O's" the next day. Im trying to break this cycle and just want to get off of everything but im so scared! My younger brother is also addicted to oxy's- which i think i consider my fault, even though all of his friends do them and sell them. They're everywhere! I guess i just needed someone to talk to- and was wondering if there is life after this!!

Hey guys, I've been reading the posts on this site, and I wanted to share what has allowed me to get clean. It is the fellowship of Narcotics Anonymous. I know that the physical aspects of getting clean are hard, but they will pass in time. The answer for how to stay clean lies in adressing the nature of our addiction and what we can do to change so that we don't have to hide from life by using drugs any more.

Also, all are welcome to the rooms of NA if they are on Suboxone or any other treatment (or drug for that matter). The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using.

Check out the website at NA.org to find a meeting near you. Good luck!

I have never heard of this drug before.

What's it for ?

I took Ativan (Lorazepam) for 12 years for Anxiety / Panic attacks.

I started out at 2 mg's and it soon became ineffective so I was increased up to 4 mg's.
It helped for awhile but again became ineffective , I told the doctor and he said just take it anyway as having it in your system can ward off future attacks.

So like an id**t I believed and listened to him.

12 years later , Getting no benefit from this medication at all and not having had an attack in ages , I was weaned down on it ,

Went from 4 mg's nightly , to 2 mg's nightly , to 1 mg nightly , then down to 1/2 mg nightly. Then completely Stopping it.

I feel really really good. NO Withdrawal symptoms at all.

The slow weaning process was really a good thing to do verses stopping cold turkey.

I would not recommend Benzo drugs.
They can be terribly addicting.

Thank god I didn't suffer any withdrawal from going off it.

I just started taking suboxone today. I had an awful addiction to opiates, I was prescribed 60 lortab 10's a month. At first I followed directions, then I ended up to where I was a few days ago... My 60 script would be gone in 4 days, then I would use OC's, Morphine, Percocet, ANY OPIATE! I had tried quitting befor, but by the end of the second day the withdrawals would be so bad that I would go out and find something..... It started to make me realize what I am doing to my body and life.. I am 22 yrs old and I am a GS12 for the government making 80-100k a year as a senior server administrator... I thought to myself WHAT AM I DOING TO MY LIFE!!! then I learned about suboxone.

They had me quit taking opiates on saturday, and come in on monday at 7AM. You have to be withdrawing to get suboxone, not because it wont work - more like you have to talk yourself into really quitting - if you can go through 2 days withdrawing so that you can get better, than you know you want to quit!

Monday they had me in their office trembling, pupils dialated, yawning, sweating and getting chills... they then told me to go downstairs to pharmacy and get 1 suboxone tablet... (8mg/2mg: my buddy told me that was a weak dose but I figured if I could start off small and handle it than I would be better off in the end) They broke that tablet in half and had me put 1/2 under my tongue to dissolve... I had to stay there 3 hours so that they could monitor me and see if it was working, it did work! Chills went through my body for 30minutes then I felt normal, and happy.

Basically I took the first 1/2 around 9AM, I just now took the other half (4:40PM) I feel good - I feel like a little kid again, and have a lot of self esteem and confidence - I will quit.

Thinking about how i spend 500-600$ a month on pills, paying for this treatment doesn't cost sh*t! I go back into the doctor tomorrow at 7AM to get a weeks worth hopefully (I cant be paying co-pay's everyday!) I am really going to do this like the doc tells me to, when he says quit, I quit.

Think about your body, your money - think about how much you spend and how you would be able to buy something rewarding without addiction.

I wish everyone here luck - and will keep you posted on my progress

----------THE ONE WITH HOPE

Hey guys, just like most of you been on the subs for a little over a year. I think a lot of it is in our heads. After taking either herion or a pain killer then the subs everyday for the past 5 years I can't see not taking something. My dr has been really good with me taking me down slowly. I think what you should do if your worried about coming off the meds is talk to your dr and follow that up with some kind of substance abuse counciling and NA meetings. Stay busy, and remember what our lives were like when we where on the stuff. This is actually my last week on the subs and I'm a nervous wreck and it really helps to have the help of friends and family. Good luck to all!!!

Basically you traded in one drug for another suboxone is maybe harder to get off of than the regular opiates. I would try and start tapering right away and then when you are down to a low enough dosage that you start feeling like you are already detoxing make the jump off of them.. The longer you are on them the harder it is to stop... I'm on day 3 now no sleep, rls and ras.. This is very hard to do..

I hate that you're struggling with that but I hope that things will improve with you, but I hope that improves slowly with time. Can you keep posting and let us know how you're doing? Thank you!