Hello, I am uncircumcised. Everything was normal; I was able to completely retract the foreskin, exposing my glans (for cleaning) without any trouble or pain. As the weather became hot, I noticed I was getting an accumulation of smegma. I don't normally have any smegma because I rinse the glans in the shower everyday. Rinsing wasn't gonna get rid of the smegma this time, so I began to use liquid soap (old spice body wash) to get rid of the smegma. This worked; my glans was completely clean again. But a week later a new problem arose. I now (as of a week) cannot completely retract my foreskin over the glans. I can get it about half way though, if I try to do more, it hurts. There was a reddening on the inner part of the foreskin when I retracted it a few days ago, but I think it's gone. I am worried. My parents (who are doctors) say it’s nothing serious, but it has been years since my foreskin was unable to retract. I see a slight improvement though. Is this anything to worry about? I really don't want to have a circumcision or any surgery down there, it seems so painful. Does anyone know if it will clear up soon? MY hypothesis about why it's stuck is that since I don't have any smegma, especially in the hot months, the glans has a lack of lubrication, which keeps retraction of the foreskin easy, and now is stuck until some lubrication can occur. This is what I think after doing some research. I don't think it's phimosis because I was able to completely retract it up until about a week ago, and I don't think it's balantisits, because it looks fairly normal. Somebody please help me! :-(

I am just experiencing the same thing. I don't really know what you mean about the smegma but my foreskin is swollen in parts. This just broke out so I don't know if it's getting worse or better but i sure am scared. What I found particularily crazy however, is that I just used old spice body wash for the first time a week ago.. Maybe there is an allergenic in it! If you hear anyhting let me kow please! Anyone out there able to help????

the first thing to do is to stop using the soap you are using. secondly get some lotion or cream and use your fingers to gently stretch the opening daily in about a week or two you should be able to retract fully again. YOU DO NOT NEED A CIRCUMCISION. it is called Phimosis and there are many nonsurgical ways to correct the problem.

i think this sounds more like balanitis - I have the same issue - am going to the doc tomorrow to get it checked out - it is a bacterium which needs treatment.

Its most probably the soap. Take a long bath/shower and gently masturbate until you can ease the skin past your head. Then gently wash it, but NOT with soap! If it hurts, stop and do this over a few days.

Good luck

if u are going to use soap in future use fagrance free natural soap. on the bottle it is normally stated that it is okay to use on genitalia.

good luck

Really? It states that on the label? I've never seen this addressed on any bottle of soap that I've ever read (and I haven't read many...I admit!)

There are really a lot of great suggestions from posters above.

I agree, knock off the soap, and sit in the bath frequently to wash off the head.

Smegma is a smelly accumulation under the foreskin, or around the head of the penis. It accumulates from a lack of hygene , but it sounds like you may have taken it too far the other way.

Let us know how this works out for you, OK.

PS: It's great that you have two doctors in your family to advise you. I would trust their advice that it is nothing serious, but if you're still hurting in a week's time, it's time to change doctors to someone more sympathetic.

Good luck.

My son is eight years old and my ex husband is trying to say that our son needs a circumcision because of smegma. He says that is what the doctor told him needs to be done. I do not want my eight year old son to go through unneeded pain if I can avoid it. Any thoughts to this? Please let me know if I should fight him on this or talk to the doctor personally to get the real story. My ex has been wanting to get this done since we adopted him and I saw no reason. His main reason is to have him look like him.

I would recommend that you speak with the doctor.

Identify who you are in relation to your ex, and to your 8 year old son.

There may be very good reasons for a circumcision to be performed, but as the boy gets older, your concern over pain may be a valid one.

However, the idea that his son look like his father, as well as his peers, is also a good one. This is something that a mother may not recognise as a powerful bonding element.

However, that desire to look like his dad may not be strong enough to carry the decision. And I would think that health issues would outweigh everything.

If your ex has already examined your son, or, if your son has already asked his father about this, then I would say that's important.

But if it's a simple desire to "have him look like me", that doesn't carry much weight.

Can you make a health appointment for your son with the doctor and as a part of this examination, make certain that the doctor is aware BEFORE THE EXAM, of the additional issue of circumcision and the possible need? This may make some difference, so it's important that the nurse or scheduling person understand the need to discuss this.

besides religious reasons, why would you contend a circumcision? it is a social norm to be circumcised in America. i could understand if you dont have the money for it, or you grew up in a different country, but i believe it is neglectful to choose not to circumcise a child. The consequences of uncircumcised boys will continue throughout their life. I'm not a pecker checker, but I spent 5 years in the military, so I can honestly say that it is not normal to be uncircumcised. It seems to be a sensitive subject for those who are uncircumcised. I think it would be embarrasing.

Typical response from someone who was circumcised at birth. the only reason I can think of to have this done at birth, you don't want to have to deal with teaching the child how too pull back the skin and clean it when bathing or showering. You always hear about parents talking to their kids about the birds and bees. I don't know any one who had this conversation with their parents. I'm sure mothers explain to their daughters when they start their period what needs to be done. It has been more standard in City hospitals,and less in smaller towns. The Nazis would check to see if a boy was circumsised ,if he was it ment he was a Jew, and sent to their deaths. Germany hias passed a law that circumcision is mutalation.Of course Religous groups that require it are objecting. If it is a matter of bein common practice, then there should be no problems with the African areas that circumcise girls. Americans call this mutilation, and have been protesting the practice for the last couple of decades. I understand the Bible told the followers should circumcise their children. But if God made Man in his image, why would he decide that part of him was a mistake?

Soap is not good for the inner lining of the foreskin, which is mucosal membrane, not skin.

Soap removes the oils from the tissue and causes non-specific dermatitis. 

Try leaving your foreskin alone for a few days. Don't retract it and don't try washing under it.

Get rid of that body wash.

An accumulation of smegma won't hurt anything. Remember smegma has the oils your foreskin and glans penis needs for good health.

***this post is edited by moderator *** *** web addresses not allowed*** Please read our Terms of Use

You need to stay away from the soap, which can cause non-specific dermatitis.

Smegma is normal and harmless. Don't let getting rid of smegma adversely affect your health.

Hi 302:

Your husband is a circumcised man. Circumcised men have a lot of emotional issues that alter their behavior. Your husband is exhibiting a typical behavior pattern of circumcised men.

Search the Internet for "Circumcision and Human Behavior"

With regard to your son's smegma, it is harmless, it only needs to be wiped off when it comes out of his foreskin.

Smegma is a natural, normal, harmless, and healthy substance. It is a mixture of exfoliated skin and skin oils. Smegma collects under the foreskin. It is normally white in color. Some people believe that smegma resembles cream cheese.

It can get irritating if it stays for a long time without being washed away, so it is good practice to wash under the foreskin periodically.

Accumulated smegma may get hardened and difficult to remove if it stays a long time such as under a foreskin that is not retracted. Olive oil has been recommended for softening and removing hardened smegma.

Since smegma is composed of exfoliated skin and skin exfoliation occurs continuously, then smegma is continuously forming. You may expect to see more every day.

When your husband says he wants your son to look like him, that is code. He is really saying I don't want an intact boy around to remind me of what I don't have.

This is quite common with circumcised men who have not grieved and accepted their loss.