I am 16, and have really good hygine. I shower @ a day and wash my area well. But, i have noticed that i produce too much smegma. Is there any way to prevent overproduction of smegma??

Personally, I am not sure that there is. I did some reading on smegma and I found out that they are produced in the cells of some little protrusions situated in the inner foreskin. These protrusions are small in number when we are kids, but grow (in number) in the adolescence and the biggest number of these protrusions is between the age of 20 and 40 and then the number starts to decline.
Smegma is a product of new cells degeneration. So, there is little of it when we are kids, a lot of it when we are “in our best” and then it’s amount and production subside.
Guys who have longer foreskins have more smegma and that is a fact. I can’t figure out how much you have but washing twice or even once a day makes my smegma go away-actually it rarely forms because I wash it every day. Do you also wash the pocket between foreskin and the glans. It is where it accumulates the most.

One thing I can say, and I don’t know if it would put you at ease, but having smegma is much better than not having one since your sexual acts would be very hard and maybe even impossible and you would have to use all sorts of lubrication all the time, which I find annoying.

Markos' answer is correct, except that is not the only cause of smegma. Bacteria and germs collecting under the foreskin can breed, in the dank swamp of that warm, wet environment. Sugars can feed them, and they can reappear and reproduce in as little as two hours after a thorough cleaning.
One cure that I have found to be 100% effective is permanent foreskin retraction. No more breeding ground means no more breeding. It's that simple.

My hubby used to have this problem when we were younger. Cleanliness is the only fix other than getting cut. (that was not an option for us since I like him as is, so does he) Clean it every time you pee.. as you get older it will get better.

I have had this problem all my life - cleanliness is the answer. It does NOT decrease with age, I can assure you it gets worse with aging for this simple reason. As we age most of us develop diabetes or at least have more sugar in the urine. The drops of pee that remain around or between the foreskin and the gland can cause bacteria to grow even more. Believe me I've gone though it. The solution I found was to train the foreskin to stay back of the gland as I put master john away back into my pants AFTER carefully wiping the foreskin and gland dry with toilet paper. Have been doing this for about nine months now and have not seen any smegma!

hi, if you keep it clean by washing carefully every day and making sure you get into all the skin folds (gently) then you shouldn't worry about a bit of smegma that might build up as this is natural. our bodies have many different natural smells and this is not necessarily a bad thing. if your gf doesn't like it then just give it a rinse before sex.

Hello, I'm 16. Last night I was about to masturbate until I saw some yellow gunk. I managed to pull my foreskin quite far back (just above the base of the glan) and it revealed nearly my whole glan was covered in this stuff. I've been reading the earlier posts, and wondered what's the best way to do it. You say retract the foreskin and clean the head, but mine is very sensitive and I can't bare it. Also, I can't seem to pull my foreskin all the way back when erect, but I can when flaccid. If you could help then I'd be very grateful.

use a showerhead for cleaning that area... my glans is very sensitive too, and i rarely touch it at all coz its very uncomfortable. the showerhead works fine in this case coz it washes it all off... its a clean method.

I developed excessive, smelly smegma a few years ago in my early 30s. Cleaning it in the morning helped only temporarily and by the afternoon or end of the day it was back in a bad way. I'd never had it like this before. My doctor advised thrush cream, which didn't help.

A couple of years later I went to the doctor about my fairly mild but persistent back acne, which I've had since childhood. The old doctor had moved on and so I also mentioned the smegma problem to the new one. He said was just one of those things you have to deal with and everyone's different, so I should just clean it more. He also recommended 'Minocycline' ('minocycline 100mg as Hydrochloride' on the packet, brand name Acnamino in the UK) for my back acne. I took one pill a day and within a few days noticed that my smegma problem had cleared up! I've been taking the Minocycline for a few months now and the spots seem no better but the smegma situation is amazing! I bet I could go 72 hours without washing down there and still be fresher than after 24 hours before.

When I went back for a repeat prescription of minocycline for the acne (as it could take a longish time as minoclycline isn't one of the stronger treatments) I mentioned the smegma improvement and the doctor said it wasn't entirely surprising.

I was pretty angry that he'd been so blase about telling me to deal with it as something that would never improve when in fact this accidental treatment has immensly improved my quality of life.

So I'd recommend anyone giving minocycline ago for a few weeks to see if it helps with smegma problems. Oh, one downside is that it makes me fart a bit more than normal, but it's worth it!

Smegma is a mixture of shed cells, sebum and bacteria. In some men it is produced in excess, it appears as not age related.
Smegma is not obviously produced by men who are circumcised as in these men the inner surface of foreskin is removed.

Is smegma useful? I do not think so. For what I know several types of bacteria grow on smegma and it can cause an infection in a woman. For instance fungal ( candida) infections in women often do not get cured by medications and are more persistent unless their male partner is treated.
Women health doctors who are correctly trained, always ask a patient about health of the partner and whether is he circumcised or not.
Smegma is not an adequate a lubricant. Your reader who stated that his smegma is a lubricant, is confused. Mucus glands in the opening of a urethra during an erection produce lubricant in most of men, and this is helping with friction during an intercourse. Smegma is not doing anything helpful.

What is the role of smegma? Believe me, no role. People believe that if nature is producing something it must be good. It is incorrect. In fact smegma can be harmful, and non-circumcised men can develop a certain penile cancer which is a result of long life irritation by smegma. This cancer occurs in older men. Smegma can be an irritant, because a mixture of shed skin cells, secretions and urine form a perfect environment to grow all sorts of bacteria that produce, amongst other, ammonia. When men do not follow a correct washing routine, they frankly smell. Smegma smells when a man gets excited. Smell is not detectable by the parson who is producing it. But a woman partner can detect it easily. Smell of smegma is not sexually attractive and is a deterrent. Women are not comfortable to tell a partner that he smells, therefore he often does not understand why a woman does not want to touch him.
In older age ( after menopause) women are prone to an urinary tract infections. Women who are after menopause and co-habitate with men who have a lot of smegma are more prone to recurrent urinary tract infections.
Also, the cells that produce smegma and are placed on the inner surface of the foreskin are prone to attract viruses such as HIV and Hepatitis B virus. Studies have confirmed this and are well known to the medical profession. Circumcised men are twice less likely become infected with HIV and Hep B during a casual sex.

Although non Jewish and non Islamic a doctor, on the basis of my knowledge and experience I am for circumcision of baby boys. This can be done humanly, with no pain and hardly any risk of complications. In young babies circumcision heals within 5 days. Having foreskin is a problem for life.
And a true anecdote says that the best lovers in history were circumcised. Removal of foreskin makes penis less sensitive and premature ejaculation is less likely . Also circumcised men can be much more patient and enjoy sex with a female partner instead going ahead as they always do.
Female circumcision should be prosecuted, is unnecessary and very harmful.

Preaching much? And oh, your facts are wrong.. dont listen to this numbskull..

Smegma is a actually very useful. Smegma has anti viral and anti bacterial qualities and without smegma sex would be almost impossible without continuous application of lubricant. The only 'problem' with Smegma is if a yeast or other infection is present it is very easy to just think you have excess smegma. If you are worried at all by smegma build up that seems unusual it is probably smegma & other things.

My wife, who is post-menopausal, has a lot of trouble with vaginal dryness, plus I'm circumsized. We add lubricants frequently, but it's still difficult. She also gets frequent bladder infections. Any advice?

Definitely pulling facts out of his behind. Anecdotal evidence about I read this and she said that is not fact. More to the point, the penile cancer you mention was one study, and the incidence rate of that, although higher for non-circumcised men were higher, was an order of magnitude smaller than other cancers in general. Sounds to me like you're some closet case who was circumcised, feels angry about it and spreading this litany to get back at your misfortune in some weird way. 

I noticed that ketoconazole reduces smegma. I took ketoconazole and smegma disappeared in 2 days. It is an antifungal drug. But consult your doctor before taking it.