I was diagnosed with acalculus biliary pain by my GP. He recommended taking out my gallbladder, but I will ask the surgeon is there any other option beside surgery. I have painful attacks and nausea all the time. I am worried about the surgery because I know that gallbladder is supposed to help in the digestion of fats, and if they remove it, I would need to completely abstain from fatty foods.

I don’t know much about acalculus biliary pain, beside what I read on internet. I am a student and we just recently talked about the gallbladder in one of my classes. The way it was explained to me is that your bilary tube is very stretchy and can actually store some of the bile that your body needs and your liver makes the bile and so you can still emulsify some fat. The bad aspect of not having a gallbladder is that you could have a "dumping" syndrome. I understood that it is when you consume a large amount of greasy foods, and your body does not have enough bile available to emulsify it therefore it just goes straight through you digestive tract causing a need to use the restroom immediately. I am sorry I can’t help you with surgery options for acalculus biliary pain.