Just had my gallbladder and appendix out 2 wks ago. Now I am experiencing pain in my mid sternum radiating to under my left chest area. I keep belching, burping even if I sit still. It gets much worse if I talk or move around. I went to the Er yesterday and the xrays showed gas in intestines and stomach. They gave me protonics and sent me home. I am still in pain and belching and want to know if anyone else has had any problems after surgery . thank you.

Hi there! Air swallowing is a common cause of gas in the stomach. Everyone swallows small amounts of air when eating and drinking. However, eating or drinking rapidly, chewing gum, smoking, or wearing loose dentures can cause some people to take in more air. The body does not digest and absorb some carbohydrates such as the sugar, starches, and fiber (found in many foods) in the small intestine because of a shortage or absence of certain enzymes. Doctors may tell you to eat fewer foods that cause gas. However, for some people this may mean cutting out healthy foods, such as fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and milk products. Doctors may also suggest you limiting high-fat foods to reduce bloating and discomfort. This helps the stomach empty faster, allowing gases to move into the small intestine. I hope this will help.

thank you for your information, sorry it took so long to reply but on top of everything else I ended up with the stomach flu.