About 8 months ago I started having severe indigestion and nausea for several months.  It then turned into constant chest pains for another several months and then into abdominal pains.  I completely changed my diet to a strict GERD/Gallbladder/Gluten-free diet for the past 6 months now.  After having a HIDA scan done, my doctor found that I had a 97% ejection fraction, hyperkinetic gallbladder.  She told me I would probably feel better if she removed it, and as my mother had had the surgery done a few years ago and was cured, I figured it would solve my problem.  When she removed my gallbladder she found that it was inflamed and had some scaring but no gallstones.  However, a few weeks after surgery I started having the same symptoms as before the surgery.  Nausea, abdominal pains, chest pains, dizziness, fatigue, lightheadedness, and sharp pains where my gallbladder was removed.  I went to a different GI doctor that ran the same tests on me, HIDA scan and endoscope.  The HIDA scan caused me a lot of pain but he said the results were normal.  In the endoscope he told me I had gastritis.  In the pictures from the endoscope I saw a little bile in my stomach.  He never mentioned anything about it and acted like he had no idea why I now have gastritis.  He prescribed me Hycosamine and Aciphex and said, "take these and come back in 2 months and tell me how you feel."

I also should mention that I am only 25 and before all this was healthy.  My surgeon thinks that my GB disease was caused by my birth control, Trinessa.  I had taken it for several years but quit taking it after I started getting sick.

I feel very frustrated with my doctors because I feel like they aren't interested in figuring out the root cause of all this.  They just are interested in quick fixes to mask bigger problems.  

I have been doing a lot of research on this since I feel like my doctors don't really care to help me.  I feel like since my gallbladder was releasing too much bile, then was removed, all of that bile is going straight to my stomach.  Possibly my liver is creating too much bile and this is now causing inflammation in my stomach?  But I don't know why my liver would be producing too much bile or how it is treated.

I had horrible side effects from the Hycosamine and Aciphex my doctor prescribed.  Constant chest pains, worsening abdominal pains, and heart palpitations.  The nurse told me to stop taking the medicine immediately and that my doctor would follow up with me.  

I honestly am scared to take prescription drugs after the idea that my birth control possibly caused my GB disease and also the recent side effects I have had from the drugs prescribed to me for my gastritis.  

I have thought about going to a holistic or intergrated medicine doctor but I'd like to know from someone who has experience with them if they could help with my situation?  I am willing to do anything at this point to get better and I really don't trust conventional doctors anymore.

The past couple of days have been unbearable.  I feel like the medicine only worsened my gastritis.  I have had a severe migraine for 3 days now with dizziness, disorientation, chest pains and abdominal pains.  My vision even seems different.  I'm just really sick of all this.  I've been to so many different doctors, I just want to move on with my life.

Hi there,

Reading your post was like reading something very similar to my current situation. Im also 25 and about 8 months ago in Jan I was diagnosed with chronic gastritis after being bedridden for 10 days straight with severe nausea, indigestion and upper abdominal pains. This left me not being able to eat or keep fluids down for 10 days as I was constantly vomiting then was admitted to ER as I was severely dehydrated. I ended up getting better but had a relapse with the same symptoms 3 weeks later which lasted for 5 days. I was put on Nexium by my doctor but my gastroenterologist advised to get off the Nexium and let my body heal naturally. I then had another 3 relapses with the gastritis which were 2 weeks apart and lasted for 5 days. My gastoenterologist suspected it was the birth control pills that I had been on for the past 9 years which was causing my stomach to have spasms and in turn causing the gastritis, he had thought this given the cycle of my relapses which seemed to be quite hormonal. I immediately went off the pills and felt good with no relapse/attack for 3 months though my DR had told me that it could take months for my hormone levels to normalize again. My period immediately came back to normal and were exactly 1 month apart.  It wasn't until end of June when I became very ill again immediately after my period had finished and this was the same time as when my partner had been struck with gastro therefore I had thought I gotten gastro off him which has in turn triggered my gastritis. This time I was bedridden for 8 days and admitted to ER after not being able to eat or drink fluids for 5 days straight.

I then got better and was back to normal and being able to eat (when I am normal, i feel great and as if i've never been sick!). Then my period that was due to come in July was late. I started getting period cramps but still no sign of my period then the cramps settled for a few days then came back again which by then I had another gastritis attack which lasted for about 4 days. My period finally came (2.5 weeks late) and I was fine until the day after it had finished, i started getting severe cramps in the early morning which made me go to the toilet so I had thought perhaps there was something going on with my bowels. Its been 6 days now and once again, im bedridden down with gastritis and not being able to eat anything. I feel sick as a dog and I am constantly wondering, researching and questioning what could it be that is causing the gastritis to reoccur for the 8th time now?!

At first I had thought it was the birth control pills as I felt good for 3 months after going off them but now that I've had 3 gastritis attacks since then, I am starting to question if it is something else? I think whether it is just my body trying to adjust back to its normal hormone levels hence why my period was late recently and that could perhaps be giving me the cramps and in turn triggering the gastritis? But today I had shooting pains under my right shoulder blade and from reading online, that is one of the symptoms of gall bladder disease? After reading your post, I am worried if it is gall bladder disease and if I have it removed, what if it makes the gastritis worst.. because in your case, you were diagnosed with gastritis after having it removed? I am having another gastroscopy done in a few days as well as a colonoscopy to see what is going on. Im seeing a doctor tomorrow to request a scan to check my gallbladder. Like you, Ive been to SO MANY doctors and none of them seem to care to find out what the underlying cause or issue is. They are certainly just interested in quick fixes which is why 8 months later, I still dont know what is going on and why it is still happening to me. Have also considered to going to see a holistic doctor.. but am interested to know from someone who has been in the same situation and what has worked for them to help recover from this awful sickness?

I'll keep you posted on my progress and would like for you to do the same. Have you gone to see a holistic doctor yet? are you feeling better? Being sick is certainly not fun and being a naturally thin person already and struggled with putting on weight throughout my entire life, I have now lost 7-8 kgs which is making me so depressed and anxious. :( WE JUST NEED HELP!! Willing to try and do anything at this point because it really has affected my personal life as well as career!

Hey Michelle,

I'm really sorry to hear about everything that you have went through. It sounds like an absolute nightmare. I really hope that you can find the right help as soon as possible.

I went to a holistic doctor about 2 weeks ago and he gave me some digestive enzymes to help aid my digestion since I no longer have a gallbladder. He also gave be some B-complex vitamins, Licorice Root Extract, and Mastic Gum. I don't like taking lots of pills, even if it is herbs. I am about the size of a 12 year old child (I am 5'3" and weigh 83 lbs) so it is very difficult for my body to handle adult doses or multiple pills at once. I tried taking all of them as he had directed but it was too much for me. I almost passed out and felt extremely disoriented. So I decided to take one at a time each day and slowly ease my way into taking more of them each day till I knew which dose was right for me. I've heard lots of success stories with Mastic Gum and Licorice Root but I guess everyones bodies are different. The Licorice Root gave me severe migraines. I tried taking it for one week, lessening the dose each day to see if I could take it without getting a headache, but even the smallest dose gave me a severe one. I also tried taking the Mastic Gum for a week, lessening the dosage but it gave me sharp stomach pains. I had some Slippery Elm pills that I had bought before I got my gallbladder removed but never took. I have been taking them everyday for the past week and the digestive enzymes and probiotics and they have been seeming to help. I go back for a follow up appointment tomorrow. I haven't started my period in one month and 15 days so I think he might give me some herbs to help with that also. I've only had one period in the past 6 months. I think my body just has to adjust to not being on the pill anymore.

I would definitely recommend going to a holistic doctor instead of seeing a surgeon to have your gallbladder removed. It makes me really sad now to think that my holistic doctor could have helped me heal my gallbladder so I did not have to have surgery. Now it is much harder to digest food and I have gotten gastritis as a result. So do whatever you can to save your gallbladder, you need it. Conventional doctors will try to convince you otherwise but all they care about are quick fixes that mask the real problem.

I read a blog recently about someone who had been through a similar situation as us. They said that the way they got through it was by deciding not to worry about the pain anymore and not to let it take over their life. They said the fear is what caused them to become even more sick. I definitely think that is true.

I am trying to meditate every morning and think positive thoughts about my body healing. Now when I have sharp abdominal pains or chest pains I do not surrender to it. I just imagine my body healing and me moving forward with my life and feeling healthy like I used to.

I fell into a depression during these past several months of being sick and kind of secluded myself away from my friends. I stopped doing activities that I loved, I wouldn't go out anywhere because I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find food that fit my strict diet at restaurants. And I allowed the pain and sickness to keep me from living my life. But I have decided that I will not live my life like that anymore.

I have been doing much better since I have changed my way of thinking. I know that stress has had a lot to do with my sickness. When I first became sick back in December of 2011, I was under an immense amount of stress from work. I really think that's what sparked it. I have had to cut back on my hours at work and have spent more time pursuing the career in art that I hope to have soon.

I'll keep you posted on my progress. Please let me know how things are going with you. I hope you can find a good doctor. Please get well soon.

Hi there, I hope this message gets to you. I've had a very similar issues after hormone replacement therapy. I took 800mg of SAM-e for two weeks. Do an online search 'SAM-e and cholestasis of pregnancy'. There are several studies of women who are hyper-sensitive to the high amounts of estrogen during the third trimester of pregnancy and develop a liver condition called cholestasis. SAM-e was shown to be effective in treating this condition and normalizing bile excretion. Incidentally enough if you research SAM-e supplement it's used for joint pain, depression and to improve liver function. One of the symptoms most people experience is stomach upset from this supplement especially at high doses like 800mg. I tried two different brands, and the GNC brand worked best for me. I took two 200mg on empty stomach, first thing in the morning after waking up and did not eat for at least an hour, then I took two 200mg pills a couple hours before bed (again on an empty stomach couple hours after last meal of the day). Also I picked up a B complex supplement (took with food as directed on the bottle), and took this every couple of days, as I was advised I should take this when supplementing SAM-e. My urine turned bright yellow when taking B complex, which happens when body excretes excess B vitamins). Anyway after a week I noticed I was able to tolerate foods well, stomach became flat again and it's only improving, got one more week to go. Don't get that hungry burning bubbling feeling and stomach noises anymore. NOw the study they did was a high dose of 800mg of SAM-e for two weeks, they noticed people who took 200mg a day didn't see much improvement. I'm not a doctor so can't guarantee this will work for you, and SAM-e is not suited for everyone (i.e. people who are bi-polar) , so do your research on the supplement and read the studies done for yourself. I can only say what's worked for me and hopefully this info can help you out.

omg I have had the same exact symptoms n everything. I feel your constant burning pain in the ribs and stomach and back. they have me on a fentanyl patch n that is the only thing that helps me!!! please let me know if you find out any more info.

I had the CCK-CS 2 months ago & have an ejection fraction of 84%, hyperkinetic gallbladder. The 1st general surgeon I seen feels that it's related to a slightly bulging disk at T-5/T-6 which happens to b around the level of the gallbladder. I am very symptomatic for gallbladder disease. I will get a second opinion on whether or not to have my gb removed on Monday, 9-23-13. Then the following day, 9-24-13, I'll c my spinal pain intervent. md to decide if we should go forward w/an intercostal(between the ribs) nerve ablation. I've had a steroid injection & an intercostal nerve block which both had worn off in 1-1.5 weeks! The ablation uses radio frequency to cause necrosis(tissue damage), which will burn up the nerves ability to send/receive pain signals. This is a very simple procedure w/very low risk involved. The pain can also b related to surgical scaring & I've had multiple abdominal surgeries including a subtotal colectomy at the age of 29 (I only have 5" of my colon(large intestine) left but was fortunate to never have a colostomy since they were able to attach the 5" to my small intestine). I have an extensive history of endometriosis & IBS, which required an open hysterectomy at the age of 26 w/no children, 5-laparoscopic surgeries, splenectomy, & 1-laparotomy for adhesions. The nerve ablation will also relieve the pain/N/V if it's scar tissue related. My GI md thinks I have multiple issues going on in the same area but feels that my gb is the main culprit. Google intercostal nerve ablation as ur trying to figure everything out to c if u could benefit from that procedure as well. It's done on post-op patients quite frequently as well as spinal patients. I hope this helps some of u & at least gives u another option to explore. I'll update as things progress. NEVER DOUBT THE POWER OF PRAYER! I'm not saying that u can pray it away but u can definitely pray for the answers u desperately need! May God bless all of u in ur quest for a cure!

If i think that the pain that u get is worsened by fear, u must not be too sick. I have been sick with puking every month for two year from my gallbladder and fear does not make me sicker. You just write on forums to talk. And that holistic medications that u have taken do not work so why would u support them? People read these to get a better understanding of what other people go through but i should stick to reading your advice sucks!