Hello! My father had shingles a month ago. He is 57 years old and had no serious health problems so far. We were really worried when the first symptoms occurred but our doctor explained that this virus could affect anyone who had chickenpox. He also says that virus never leaves the body and it can be reactivated at any time, especially when immune system is weakened. My father is fine now but we are worried this can happen again and we are thinking about shingles vaccination. Does shingles vaccine has any effect after having a bout of shingles?

Hello! Your doctor has well explained what causes shingles and I think it is very important to have all needed information. As I know shingles vaccination is approved for people who are 60 and older and who have had chickenpox. Although the chances of another attack are low it can also be given to people who have had shingles already. But, you have to check this information. Also, I heard that some insures will not pay for immunization of patients who had shingles. Since this vaccination is recommended for people who are 60 and older safety and effects in younger people are not known.