Hi everyone. Here's my story, the short version: I am a reasonably successful business woman with a good life, a nice house and an amazing boyfriend. I had a good upbringing and have never suffered a traumatic event. However, for the past decade, I have smoked pot everyday. I'm now 26 and I have to give up- not because I want to, but because I got caught and am now on probation and subjected to regular drug testing. The problem lies therein: I DON'T WANT TO QUIT! I have no children and my life is not negatively impeded by the use of this drug, recent legal problems nonwithstanding. It eases my anxiety and insomnia and I really just love being stoned. So how am I supposed to successfully give up when I really don't want to? And please don't say God- I am an atheist. Any assistance on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

You can try Fake Pot.

Mmm...I hear ya!
It's a very hard task to give up something when you have justification for it. Right now, your justification is that marijuana hasn't effected your behaviour or life in any negative way; you don't have to be a role model for anyone and if anything, smoking benefits your life.

However your justifications are all theoretical. Realistically, marijuana is having an effect on your life; specifically, your health. It's not the actual marijuana, but the tabacco you smoke with it (if you are indeed, puffing and not chuffing!). Perhaps pictorial put-off's of black lungs and lung cancer? Would that be enough to put you off? Or would you resort to brownies and a bong?

Then there's the likllihood of developing schizophrenia or schizophrenic symptoms after long term, regular use. You've got brains, so I won't patronise you with the details of how long term marijuana use affects the production of dopamine and serotonin in the brain, which can consequently lead to full-blown paranoid schizophrenia or schizophrenic episodes.

Or to evade the causes of a positive drug test-you can simply say you were in the same room as a medical marijuana smoker. Not sure of your company's policies, but most that drug test will take the excuse that the person was in a room with a cannabis smoker, but didn't actually toke. However, the levels of THC found will most likely give you away.