anyone have a good one? i used to have a good mexican bean/pepper one from cooking light and can't find it??

i need to go to a meeting and"take a salad" to share. i stink at this.

any suggestions?

no mayonaise type things though :x

I've always been partial to lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cucumber slices, and a nice light dressing...

Does it have to be a lettuce salad or can it be a pasta salad?

Mmmmm..... Greek salad. Don't know what goes in the dressing, though.

What about marinated veggies??? It's light, delicious, and EASY and also pretty too look at...

Prepare a mix of chopped sliced veggies (this is my mix but ad or delete accordingly)

sliced or shredded carrots, shredded cabbage, sliced radishes, sliced celery, broken up broccoli and cauliflower, sliced cucumbers, halved cherry tomatoes, anmd yellow and orange bell peppers julienned. Toss all with a bottle of your favorite Italian dressing, salt an pepper to tast if needed. Everyone I know likes this.

Or:

This one is spicy, so beware:

Boil a box of penne, preferably Barilla, to al dente.drain and set aside.

Use 2 LARGE whole chicken breasts (or more if serving more than 6 - 8)
Melt a wee bit of butter in a dish. In another dish, have either your own freshly ground or else a good prepared blackened spcie (Paul Prudhomme makes a good one; find in meat or spcie section). Dredge chicken in butter and then in blackened spice and rest on foil.

On either a hot grill on foil OR on a preheated blackened skillet on the grill; do NOT do this in the house unbless you have a commercial range hood/fan) grill blackenend chicken until done. The pan will give the chicken more of a "crust". After chicken cools, slice into thin strips, toss with a very high quality olive oil and pasta, and some shredded parmigiano reggiano chese. VEry tasty, best served at room temp.

MMMMM!!! sounds so yummy! Now I know why I don't like to come into this part of the forum--I always leave hungry!!! :?

Italian Deli Salad

7 ounces artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
1 cup rotini or bow tie pasta, cooked and drained
1 can (2 3/4 ounces) sliced pitted, black ripe olives, drained
1/2 cup Italian dressing
1/2 cup (2 ounces) sliced pepperoni
1/2 cup halved red onion rings
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
14 cup parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients. refrigerate. Love this salad, and it's never around for long.

Shel

That's kinda like mine. YUM!
What did you end up taking, RR???

wow - thanks for all the suggestions. i am definitely trying the Kristin and Shelee thing...

i made genie's pasta salad and it was delicious. i used a really spicy pepperoni and greek olives and feta cheese - kinda sorta mediteranean. it was great. kids loved it so i know it was worth it. :D

thanks everyone for your help. i am always looking for stuff like this--especially when the warm weather arrives. it's SALAD and grillin' time!!

Oh my gosh! That sounds sooo good: feta cheese and olives. YUM! and, woo hoo!, salad and grillin' time is finally here! My stomach is growling just thinking about it.