I understand that there are different types of shoes. I would like to find the right one for me. My girlfriend knows a lot about this matter. She works in a shoe shop. She claims that I have to buy light shoes for running. It has something to do with my kind of foot. Is she right? What do you think about light shoes for running?

If you are supinator or underpronator then light cushion running shoe is best for you. Let me explain. There are three types of foot. Also different types of foot tend to roll inward, outward or stay straight. They are called accordingly; supinator, pronator or neutral foot. A high arch and a rigid foot structure are typical for the supinator. Since this type of foot does not absorb shock sufficiently for the body, the shoe does part of the work. This shoe has minimal arch support. As it is extremely flexible it allows the foot as much motion as possible. Such shoes are not sturdy. They usually break down quickly. On average they last less than 400 miles.

The best advice I can give is to go to a specialty running store staffed by runners that can do gait analysis and match your gait and foot type to a particular shoe. YOu may end up spending a few dollars more but compared to ending up with a pair of shoes that hurt you or worse in physical therapy etc, the extra cost is insignificant.

The lightest weight shoes are performance trainers or racing flats, definitely not something I would reccomend for a newb. As far as shoe milage it will probably vary more by the user, some folks only get 200 miles out of a pair while it is true some of the top of the line trainers will give you higher mileage. A cushion shoe is generally prescribed for neutral runners.