I had a hammertoe repair and bunionectomy done 11 wks ago & my hammertoe does not bend at all. It still has some swelling. My doctor said not to worry, that it is due to the swelling and will inject cortizone in it. I would rather not get the injection. Will it eventually bend? Can I do some exercises to help it?

Hi: I had my hammertoes operated on over 20 years ago and can only bend the last joint. Did you have rods through your toes? If so I can't understand why your surgeon would think that they would bend. Unless he kept the joint in there, which doesn't make sense because that is what was the problem!!!! The rod was put in so your toe bone fuses together. So I don't think you can expect to have movement in the middle joint. UNLESS things have changed dramatically. DON'T do cortizone, I am not a believer in that. Also that is more for joint mobility, if there isn't a joint there, then what is the use right? Ask if the joint was left in or not. You can tell too. Then if it has you can try picking up pencisl and pulling a towel back, when you lay it on the floor, and put your foot on and try to pull back the towel with your toes! Good luck