%-) I have had scaly hard skin on the head of my penis since 1970's. It come for weeks or months and suddenly goes away. This year it came with a vengence, covering the rim halfway around the rim and a large spot on top. Not painful as is , but when I get an erection hard skin doesn't stretch, it begins cracking and pulling away. Severe pain, and pulling the skin off reveals bright red shiny skin with blood spots pinpoint size along with severe burning, lasting an hour or more. The large spot on top also looks wrinkled underneath with a deep fold in the center. I thought it was psoriasis, went to doctor she says no, gave me cream she said would clear it right up. It didn't, back to doctor, she gave me different cream ,some helpwith drying skin. 2 spots on rim just beside opening don't bleed, but burn the worst. At wits end and can't see Dermatologist for a couple of months. Any ideas of what this coud be and some form of relief?

Have you ever been tested for an STD - in particular Herpes? Because this sounds like a Herpes outbreak - comes and goes and when it comes back is EXACTLY like what you are describing!

http://www.herpes-coldsores.com/herpes_symptoms.htm

Take a look at the above link, and see what you think? Let me know OK? If I were you I would definitely go and get checked out for a STD/STI just to rule it out! You will also DEFINITELY need a steroidal cream!

Hi Bambi, Thanks for your reply. I went to the link you suggested, but it just doesn't seem to fit what I have. This started in 1972 with just a spot on top left side of the head about 1/4" wide and 1" long and it looked like a fish scale, with the edge peeled up a small amount all around the edge, just enough to grab it and pull it off for a painful surprise. I didn't keep track of the duration, but it was several weeks to months and it disappeared as quick as it appeared. Next outbreak came sometime later in the same place but with a round spot about the size of a pencil on the top of the head on the right side. This cycle continued till about 10 years ago when the round spot stopped coming back. I assumed it was psoriasis, as I have it on my elbow and leg and nothing seemed to help it, plus the embarassment of going to the doctor for this. About 2 years ago the large spot came back with a red bump the size of a small wart at the 5 o'clock position on the rim of the head with the hard scale skin. Went away again. Then in Dec 08 large spot and red bump came back, with small spots from 3 o'clock to 9 o'clock around the rim, starting from the top of shaft going over rim to 1/4" over head, also two spots on both sides underneath opening in head.Not real bothersome in flacid state other than mild itch sometimes, but an erection brings extreme pain as the hard skin doesn't stretch, it cracks and tears away. Pain finally won out in Mar 09 as I was being rudely awakened at 4-5 am 5-6 days a week with a painful erection. Went to the doctor and she said it didn't think it was psoriasis as she had never seen it there and gave me some cream and said it would take it right away. It did nothing but give me greasy underwear. Went back in July 09, and saw the PA and she gave me BETAMETH Dip 0.05% and come back in 10 days. I went back in 10 days and the hard scales had softened to were they came off with no pain, but left shiny red skin where they had been, she said it may be some form of cancer and gave me a referral to a Dermatologist, and she had no openings util Jan 09, so I have to see her PA and I can't see her for another 3 weeks. The hard skin is reappearing and I don't know if hold on for 3-plus weeks with a full blown breakout I'm open for just about anything to put on it to keep it in check till then. Thinking back about when this first started, I don,t think I had ever had any sexual contact, I do remember being turned down for sex because of it. And you mentioned herpes, well about 10 days ago I got a extreme burning at the base of my penis into my pubic area,saw the PA on mon, she took a glance at it and said it looked like herpes, gave me a prescription and sent me on my way. I couldn't believe it, so I went to see the doctor on tues. She didn't even look at it, just a blood test from last year and said it was herpes and gave me Valtrex. By thurs burning had spread to scrotum, so I went back and saw the Nurse Practitioner. She actually got out a light and looked carefully and told me that did not look like herpes but an ingrown hair and the burning was most likely a fungus and gave Clotrim/Beta Diprop which immediately took burning from 11+ on the pain scale to a managable 2-4, and if that didn't work she had something else to try and come back in a week. Burning is gone on scrotum as of today, burning still around base of penis as of today, so i will be going back, but it will be tomorrow due to more genital pain from an accident this morning, pushed a limb into a pile of brush and it broke off swinging back and catching me square in the testicles. And to add insult to injury I slipped trying to climb over the fork guard getting back into the tractor and went down on the guard crushing already hurting testicles and managed to go backwards off hitting the ground hurtingmy back. And so how is your day? So if you have any other ideas on the first two problems let me know. If I sound frustrated, I am, too much pain, maybe when I go in tomorrow, I should throw in the towel and ask for a sex change, pain begone! Thanks Bambi.

Yeah cause women don't get herpes!!!! ;-) XD |And our lives are just breezes!!!! LOL

http://www.medhelp.org/HealthTopics/Herpes.html

Check this one out! This seems to be more about treating it! I TRULY think you have genital herpes hon! And you need to have this treated - there is NO cure, but they can treat it and help it! So check this link out and see what they have to do to get this tested! IT's NOT just looking at it for crying out loud!!! So go to a STD/STI clinic! And get them to test you! It sounds like the people you see aren't interested, because there is NO cure! And doctors - for the most part - want to be the ones that cure people! So do that OK? And please let me know what the clinic says! IF it was something worse than Herpes, believe me hon, you would NOT have this for 30 odd years!!! Sounds painful!!! Also start taking immune booster pills! My son has the Herpes 1 virus and he gets the cold sores and hand foot and mouth disease ALL the time, but since he has been put on Aciclovir!! It really helps him!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aciclovir

Wash the ENTIRE area with a non soap cleanser - nothing scented - such as spectrogel or a antibiotic cleanser! Where cotton underwear and nothing tight! Air dry = without the neighbours seeing!!!! o.O ;-) XD And keep it dry and clean OK! This will help with the healing and health of "the area" too!

Hi I'm experiencing some of the same things not all but some. Did it get better and if so how? Thank you!