How can I get rid of stomach sounds? I have had them for as long as I can remember. Everytime I eat something my stomach produces sounds. Sometimes it gets really emabarassing, because people around me think that I am starving myself. What can I do to stop my stomach from "talking"?

There is an explanation for stomach noises and believe it or not doctors have a name for it. Stomach growls are called borborygmi. Basically, it is the sound that comes out from your digestive system. It happens every time food, gases or air move through intestine. Your food is squeezed slightly forward and slightly back through your digestive tract, in stomach acid. This helps to break the meal down and absorb nutrients. Sometimes it creates noise, and in some people the noise is very loud, like in your case. Most of the food is emptied from the stomach within 4 to 6 hours. Every 1 to 2 hours, there's a rush of digestive juices sweeping through the digestive tract to clear out anything that remains behind, whether you've eaten or not. This is also one of the causes of gurgling sounds. Also an upset stomach or irritable bowel syndrome can be the cause of stomach growls. If they are caused by air or gas ginger ale can help. You should go to your doctor so that he can determine what is causing your stomach gurgling, food, air or gas.