I am worried about my grandmothers vision. She told me that she is seeing some black spots. Naturally, snce she is 69 years old I took her to doctor. She was diagnosed with floaters. At the begining I was suprised with it because I don't know anything about it. I would appreciate some details about floaters. Thanx

It is nice to hear that you are taking care of your grandmother. Floater is a black spot or a shadowy shape that passes in front of field of vision. Most of the people experience floaters as they get older. Floaters are actually tiny clumps of cells inside the vitreous, the clear fluid that fills the inside of the eye. Pregnant women sometimes see spots caused by small bits of protein trapped within the eye. Also, eye injury or breakdown of the vitreous may cause spots and floaters. People who are nearsighted, have undergone cataract operation or have had inflammation inside the eye can develope floaters. The most common symptoms are black spots or "spider webs" that seem to be floating in field of vision, spots that move or remain suspended in one place, flickering or flashing lights etc. Most eye floaters are annoying but harmless. They temporarily enter the field of vision, and many fade over time. Sometimes, people are interested in surgery to remove floaters, but doctors perform such surgery only in rare instances.