Hello, I'm a 34 year old female.

Recently had an echo done to check upon my Mital Valve Prolapse I've had since I was 11.

These are the findings :

Mild Mitral Valve Prolapse with Mild Regurgitation/Wall Thickening
Mild Pulmonic Regurgitation
Mild-Moderate Tri-Cuspid Regurgitation
Suspected Intra-Atrial Septal Aneurysm but intact

3 years ago the Tri-Cuspid Regurgitation was MILD, and there was no wall thickening on the MVP

My daily symptoms are :

Palpitations ( feels like my heart stops for a few seconds then picks back up)
Severe Fatigue after eating with racing heart (last anywhere form 10 min to and hour or more)
Shortness of breath
Blood Pressure seems elevated. Mainly with the Diastolic

It seems like alot is going on with me and I'm very worried. I have no Cardiologists as I have no health ins.
So I have no one to talk to.

I've searched the Internet and read everything with no real answers. But if there is someone out there, adoctor maybe that can shed light on what the seriousness of this is, I'd be VERY grateful.

Thank you.

Hi Sionainn! I know how it feels to be without a health insurance... I'm not a doctor and I don't want to disappoint you but I doubt you'll find one on this forum. I did a small research and I found that heart palpitations after eating is a common complaint seen in overweight people, and sometimes in recovering anorexic patients. But still there could be various causes of heart palpitations after eating. This could range from psychological palpitations to palpitations induced by hormonal fluctuations. Eating moderate amounts of food at regular intervals is a much better option, than eating one meal in the morning and then starving oneself for the remaining half of the day. You should get a regular check-up done to lookout for hormone levels and to check on iron levels in the body. Females are at an added risk of suffering from anemia and thyroid irregularities. I know my answer is not of much help, I hope someone else will give you a better one. Take care.

Hi Sionainn,

April is right about palpitations being common in overweight and anorexic people. They also happen fairly frequently in people of average weight and in good health. Everyone has said they feel their heart "skip a beat" at one time or another. Certain foods and beverages seem to aggravate this though.

Palpitations are much more common in people with cardiomyopathy. Symptoms also include shortness of breath and fatigue. Blood pressure problems occur as well. What is your blood pressure by the way?

Your concern on the mitral valve seems to be the increase in regurgitation and the possible increase in wall thickening. Your doctor most likely performed an electrocardiogram to check your heart/heart muscle. Did the doctor have your previous (3 year) ECG to compare against? It is somewhat of a judgement call based on the results as to determining changes. The regurgitation would increase as the valve thickens.

The important thing is to keep monitoring this. Watch your diet, small meals are better, and limit your salt intake. Good oral health is important as bacteria can travel to the heart and cause irritation/enlargement. Are you taking aspirin daily? You may want to ask the doctor about this as the palpitations, if severe, can cause blood clots to form. Dosage depends upon several factors so its best to check before starting this.

Keep a copy of your ECG for comparison purposes the next time you get evaluated. It helps best when changes can be seen to understand what is going on in your body.

Hope it helps.

For April & Medic -

Thank you so much for your replies. I've never had eating disorders and I'm about 6'1 with perfect weight. Thankfully. LOL
I have heard people mention eating small meals several times a day rather than 3 large ones to combat fatigue. It couldn't hurt to try this and see if it makes any difference, at least in the tiredness area.

My blood pressure is quite strange as it turns out. When I'm laying down or sitting it stays pretty normal, even down to 99/62 kind of thing. Which for me has never caused an issue. But when I'm up walking, or doing anything at all physical..OR if I have any kind of emotional upset it spikes to 146/94 or so. I should say I'm extremely inactive, meaning..I don't exercise, at all. Despite my perfect weight I'm completely out of shape. I can huff and puff just doing basic things sometimes.
Doctors considered blood pressure meds at one point, but they said with my readings being up and down, even the smallest dose could lower it too much.

I'm a healthy eater, don't smoke, drink, no soda, no caffeine, drugs ect..
They did have the one 3 years ago to compare against but after the Doctor read it he just says, well you should see a Cardiologists, and that was that. Surely he knows what that costs out of pocket. I'm just devastated truthfully. :[

Sionainn,

Yes, the doctor should know what it costs but probably doesn't. You can ask him for a copy and keep it for yourself. Truthfully, a cardiologist is who you should be seeing.

Maintain the healthy diet and do get some exercise. It is not unusual for your blood pressure to vary depending upon stress or exertion but that is a wide range. I can understand why they don't want you on meds.

Moderate exercise would be a good idea. Even just walking a bit daily will help increase your stamina and help the blood pressure. It truly is a cardiac system, not just the heart that maintains the pressure. Your arteries constrict/dilate to help maintain pressure. Exercising will help keep them in shape and strengthen your heart.

Hope it helps. Keep us posted.

Dan