I love eating out at Italian resaurants, and plain old Penne Arrabiata is my favourite by far! I have tried to recreate that wonderful tomato sauce at home, but I never succeed. My tomato sauce tastes bland and boring, so I must be missing something! What herbs do you put in your tomato sauce?

I used to wonder the same thing, until my mom told me how to make a great tomato sauce! The key is to used canned diced tomatoes and not fresh ones. You should put that into a skillet together with a bit of olive oil, balsamic vinegar and a bit of brown sugar. Also add garlic, basil, thyme, pepper, one or two finely chopped chilly peppers to taste, salt of course, a dash of rosemary if you want, and that's it - your perfect tomato sauce right there. Leave this all to cook and reduce on a very low heat. Should take about 20 minutes in total.