I had gallbladder surgery last Wednesday, September 20th. I felt fine the first few days after the surgery.

Now, I am having to go to the bathroom everytime after I eat (it's as if someone turns on a faucet and I do this 5 or 6 time an hour all day long), I am also light headed and dizzy (I know that losing that must fluid can make you dehidridated sp? but I have been drinking a gallon of water an hour plus gatorade. Any suggestions?

Well, you could be suffering from frequent urination due to drinking so much water.

What kind of foods have you been eating after the surgery? It could be that your body is still getting used to being without a gallbladder. If you have already started eating heavy and fat foods I would suggest you waited a little longer until introducing fat foods into your diet. Stay on the low-fat in the meantime.

If your symptoms continue, you should go to the ER and have these symptoms checked. The lightheadedness and dizziness are not common post-op symptoms and should be evaluated.

Contrary to popular belief the gallbladder has a very important function. It serves as a storage site for bile. Bile is designed to emulsify (digest) fats. When we eat meals with moderate amounts of fat the gallbladder releases its stores of bile to aid the liver in digesting the fat.

The loose stools and urgency are very common side effects of gallbladder removal and/or dysfunction.

Because fats are essential for human health, they cannot simply be avoided. Good luck trying! Fats are required in the diet to help us absorb fat soluble vitamins such as Vit A,D,E and K. Fats are also important for the brain and our cell membranes. Fats also provide the building block for steroid hormones in the body such as estrogen, testosterone etc...

Some common side effects of gallbladder removal are:

Light colored stools
Belching
Constipation/Diarrhea
Hormone Imbalances
Gas and Bloating
Dry Skin
Weight Gain
Depression

You cannot be healthy without a gallbladder. You can live, but be miserable. It is a shame when doctors remove the gallbladder. It is the greatest disservice your doctor can do to send you home and pretend you don't need one. What a joke. There is a reason god put one there, and it was not for doctors to remove for the sake of doing a $5-10,000 surgery. Taking pain meds to fight the diarrhea is not the solution either, unless you really hate your liver.

In my practice we treat patients that have had their gallbladders removed. We use a very cheap and effective tablet that mimmicks the function of the gallbladder, since you don't have one anymore, the next best thing is to take a digestive aid that mimmicks its function.

The supplement costs just pennies a meal and is only available from health care providers.

Yours in health

Is not one side effect dizzyness after a surgery and can last up to a month? I had my appendix out and was light headed and dizzy for a month. I was told it was from the medication from putting me under for the operation and it did go away. But now dizzy again with nearly every symptom that people are mentioning for gallbladder problems.

i got my gb out in march 2010. i was very ill afterward and went thru a 20lb weight loss in less than 9 days. i have slowly gained the weight back altho it is mostly around my waistline lol. i too am very dizzy and light headed all of the time. i did tell the drs but they seem to not care about this. i have gone back to work only to be injured because of this dizziness. i had osteo arthritis b4 my gb acted up but once the gb was removed my arthritis has become horribly worse. all of my joints are constantly inflamed and causing the worst kind of pain 24/7. i have aged 20 years since the gb removal. what saddens and enrages me most is the lack of care i did not recieve after the gall bladder was removed.

don't drs have an obligation to care for the patient to the best of their ability? why wasn't i informed that i would be in constant pain and fatigue for the rest of my life? i would sue if i could afford a medical malpractice lawyer but i doubt i will ever be fit enuff 2 work long enough to be able to afford one. don't get your gall bladder out until you have been given all of the facts first. there is a very good chance that u will b ruining your life forever. let me know if anyone wants 2 file a class action lawsuit i will b happy 2 sign up.

@Dr. Patel - Unfortunately, some of us have found out that we should have not had our gallbladders out. So, can you share with us what your effective tablet is, which mimmicks the function of the gallbladder? I am too sick for enzymes and can't take them. Are you talking about bovine bile salts?

Dr. Patel, I had my gallbladder removed a little less than 24 hours ago and I was feeling fine (aside from gas pain) for the most part until I woke up in the middle of the night with a bad dizzy spell and weakness. I've been drinking water and I don't think it was the anesthesia because after about 6 last night I was no longer dizzy or feeling strange from it. I'm only 18, but the HIDA scan showed that I had 0% gallbladder function when I took it a couple of weeks ago. I haven't been experiencing any problems as far as diarrhea but I did throw up twice today. I haven't eaten a lot either. How long should my shakiness/dizziness go on until I see a doctor. It can on really fast and woke me up, so I was a little worried. Do you think I should look into getting the suppliment if this ontinues?

What medication are you referring to? My husband had his gall bladder removed 8 months ago, and has suffered extreme lightheaded, to the point he struggles every single day to go to work. Please help us!!!!

What is medication called ?