Hi, my father is 56 years old and he is suffering from high blood pressure. Several times he woke up in the middle of the night complaining that he didn’t feel well and when I measured his blood pressure it was very high. I have read that blood pressure would be lower in the night and higher in the morning so I do not understand what is happening with his blood pressure.

Hi, my friend also had similar problem with his blood pressure. When he visited his cardiologist he told him that it may be caused by imbalance of hormones which also affects blood pressure. Cortizol is hormone which has its own daily rhythm and his concentration is the lowest in the night. It affects blood pressure and it may be the reason for rising of blood pressure in the night.

Hi allyn,

just to add to the previous post, cortizole levels are not the only ones that might be affecting blood pressure levels. your father also needs to see a doctor in order to have his thyroid hormone levels checked. They are very well known for the problems they tend to cause, mostly at night, and high blood pressure bis sometimes among these problems.

besides this, the problem might be related to the treatment for the blood pressure your father might be taking. if he isn't taking any medications, maybe this is a definite sign that he might need them. In case he is on medication, than it's obvious he needs his dose re adjusted, because they are not managing his blood pressure well enough.